Chapter 5

"Can we go home?" Hunter asks, his voice shaky.

I look around before responding.

"Umm... Yeah" I say. I have no idea where we are.

"Come on." I grab his hand and lift him to his feet. We set off to find the nearest available phone.

After a few hours of walking I begin to see the roof of a building above a cluster of trees in the distance. I let out a sigh of relief as we near it.

It is a small town, seeming centuries old. The buildings were dark and the whole town was isolated. It was creepy.

There was a quaint white building that read "Barber Shop". The windows were dark and there was nobody inside. Next to the building was a pay phone. I perked and quickly rushed over to it.

I frantically scramble and check my pockets for any change, but to my disappointment I find none.

Hunter looks at me before pulling a quarter out of his pocket. He smiles as he hands it to me and I thank him before shoving it into the slot. I dial my mom's number and she answers on the first ring.

"Hello?" she asks worriedly. Her familiar voice eases me.

"Mom?" I say.

She gasps. "Katherine, honey! You're alive! I've been worried sick about you. Where are you? Are you okay?" She floods me with questions.

"Yes mom, I'm okay." I look around for any source of a way to find out where I am. A large sign near the entrance of the town catches my eye.

"We're in Old Winslow" I tell her.

"Old Winslow?" She sounds extremely shocked. "That's at least five hours away! How did you end up there?"

"It's a long story. Could you please just send the police." I didn't want to explain it to her now. It's a bad time and plus she would freak out and I only have about thirty more seconds to talk before I have to pay again.

"Yeah of course."

"Okay thanks. I love you" I tell her before hanging up. Now that I know my mom knows where I am and the police are on their way I can relax. All the tension has lifted and I feel like I can breath easier. Hunter and I sit down on a cement wall for about fifteen minutes before I begin to hear a police siren blaring in the distance.

It slows down when it comes near us and stops right beside us. Hunter and I both climb into the car and I sigh in relief.

"Thank you" I say politely.

The driver turns around and my eyes widen. There in front of me, is the man in the black clothing.

"Your welcome." He smiles before stepping on the gas pedal.