Chapter 18

I sit in the car for a few minutes before I see the woman roll down the window.

"What's the hold up?" she yells to another police man.

"It's Mrs. Rhodes. She's here to see Katherine."

My eyes light up and I immediately sit up as I search for my mother. It's actually her. I could believe it. After all this chaos, I had forgotten about her.

"Stay here sweetie," the woman tells me, trying to settle me down.

I nod shakily. I was ecstatic to know I would get to see my mother again.

The woman climbs out of the car and walks over to another car. I smile as I see my mother standing there. She talks to the police for a few minutes. Her eyes are red and swollen, like she'd been crying for the past hour, and the bags under her eyes made it obvious she hadn't gotten any sleep in the past few days. I hate to see her like this.

The woman looks over to me and gestures for me, allowing me to exit the car. I open the car door and slowly get out, either expecting a hug, a lecture, or a scowl. Maybe all three.

I close the door and walk around the car, my feet dragging along the way. As soon as our eyes meet, we both freeze. It doesn't seem real.

After forcing me feet to move, I sprint towards her, arms out wide. I stop right once I get to her, and embrace her in a hug. The hug I've missed for so long.

"I missed you so much," she said between sobs.

"Me too," I choke out. We stand there for a few moments of silence, just taking each other in.

"Where's Hunter?" she asks as she pulls away from the hug.

My smile fades as I look down and exchange nervous glances with the police men. I part my lips to speak, but stop as soon as I see Hunter's mother climb out of the car, a huge grin covering her face. I knew that her smile would fade in less than a second.