Escape

I opened the door quietly. It was nighttime, and all the guys were sleeping. But since they all fell asleep on the couch, Austin wasn't able to lock me in 'our' room.
I quickly walked out and closed the door quietly. I felt butterflies. I was escaping. I can make it.
I ran to the forest and found my way out to the road. I started waiting for a car to drive by.
My plan was to get a person to drive me home. That's all. Smart right? I didn't really think that they would wake up any second now and look for me.
I saw lights. Car lights! I started waving my hands around. The car stopped.
"Honey, you okay?" A lady maybe in her mid-30s came out.
"Can you please take me home?" I asked her.
She nodded her head and opened the door for me. I climbed in and told her my address.
***
"Thank you so much!" I smiled as she drove away.
Home sweet home!
I started making my way to the front porch, when suddenly, a hand went over my mouth.
"Well, look at that? I found you."
Oh God no. No. No. No. Why Jarred!?
***
He pushed me into the room I was in when he kidnapped me.
"Get away from me you monster!" I screamed.
He grabbed my neck and pushed me against the wall.
"You think someone will save you? No one cares about you." He sneered.
"What did I ever do to you?" I choked out as he pressed harder, cutting out my breath.
He laughed and let go of me. I collapsed on the floor. He grabbed me by my hair and pulled me up.
He continued slapping and punching me. I felt warm blood dripping down my neck.
"Pass out already!"
He then started taking off my clothes. I mentally groaned. Why me?
"Stop it! Someone help me!" I screamed.
He slapped me. "Shut up you little slut! No one, can hear you!"
He took off his pants.
Then, the door busted open. Austin was there standing with a gun.
"Leave her alone."
Jarred smiled and pulled up his pants. "Oh come on Austin. It looks like you didn't have fun with her."
Austin shot him. Jarred groaned and fell to the ground. Blood was everywhere.
Austin ran up to me, and I collapsed into his arms.
"It's okay Diana."
***
Why do I feel like I should like Austin? I don't understand that. I mean, yes, I'm greatful for him saving me before I was raped, again, except with a much older dude.
"How are you feeling?" Austin sat down beside me.
"Awesome."
He smiled. "I'll be back okay?"
I nodded and took a bite of my sandwich.
Max came in and sat beside me.
"Hey."
"Hey."
"How is your neck?" He asked.
"Eh, still kind of hurts."
He nodded and opened his mouth, but then closed it.
"Is there something you want to tell me?"
"Do you want to know how I...ended up here? As a robber?"
"Yes."
"Okay well...2 years ago, I was living with my parents. My dad was rich and greedy. He beat my mom and me if we didn't do something he asked, or just for fun. I started cutting myself. I believed the words he said. I was stupid, dumb, unwanted. Well, one time, he...he hit my mom..." He choked back a sob. "And he...he stabbed her. He killed her. Then he dumped her body in the forest. A few weeks later, he had a heart failure and he was in the hospital. I was taken to live with my aunt, I was happy for once, and then Austin came along, with the others. They helped me and I became one of them. It just feels like whenever I do something bad, and I know it's bad, I feel like I'm doing something right.
I try to move on, from the fact that my own father, had killed my mom and abused me. Because of him, I have scars all over me. And every time I see them, they remind me of him. He doesn't leave my mind. I feel like he's still alive, looking for me."
I nodded my head slowly.
"You're safe now, Max. You have Austin, Colton, Nolan, and me. We can help you. I know I wouldn't be able to move on if my own mom died. But Max, stupid things happen in life for a stupid reason, you need to understand that. Max, you're like the brother I never had, except the fact I do have a brother, and I love you both like brothers. You're the exact opposite of him, and I still love you two the way you are. Yes, my brother is usually an ass-hole, but that's why I love him. He's funny in some ways, and annoying in some ways."
He smiled and nodded.
"Thank you Diana. I needed a little pep talk."
"No problem." I hugged him. "Stay safe, stay away from drugs." He laughed.
Maybe brother-sister bonding could change something between me and Gabe...