11. Empty Wallets

Start from the beginning

No attention will be on us tonight. Just you and me.

The group begins to go their separate ways. Around us, crew members swiftly clean the venue and pack up our equipment onto the tour bus.

Paige walks up to me bouncing on the balls of her feet, "You ready to go?" I ask.

"Where to?" She asks, shaking with excitement over the fact that I have something planned. Another trait I love about Paige. Did I say love? Too soon Cal.

Another trait I like about Paige is that behind the mature exterior she holds, she will always be a kid at heart who can't hide her excitement of being invited to nights out with her childhood best friend.

"Wherever the streets take us." I suggest. Paige and I grew up in Sydney and know these streets by heart. When the band first started out we spent a majority of our time here before moving to London.

This wouldn't be the first time Paige and I had a late night walk down these familiar streets.

"Its nice out." She says holding one hand to her camera and the other arm brushing mine as we walk.

"It is," I agree and breath in the cold air, taking in the feeling of how refreshing it is after sweating my ass off on stage. "I have a question."

"Shoot."

"Do you remember when we were sixteen and got into our first argument?" I laugh reminiscing the absurdity of it.

She clutches onto her camera and laughs loudly, "Oh my God yeah! Wasn't it over the fact that I was trying to study and you wouldn't stop screaming at the video game you were playing?"

I shake my head thinking back to teenage us, "In my defense, we were living in a small house and I had nothing better to do."

"You are not still trying to defend yourself, Hood?!" She gapes at me, eyes widened in horror.

"Oh but I am." I say doubling over in laughter, earning a slap to the chest.

"I have no idea how I passed all my classes with the constant loud noises in that house." She pulls her jacket tighter around her body. Every muscle in my body is telling me to wrap my arm around her, but I'm still being careful not to cross any boundaries with everything that has happened recently. "Whats this?" She says stopping in front of an unfamiliar store.

"Must be new," I shrug. "Wanna check it out?" I ask but she's already ahead of me. The front of the store is lined with cameras of all sorts giving me the impression that this may be a photography equipment store.

While I slowly take my time walking around feeling somewhat out of place, Paige eagerly goes up to every section looking at each individual camera as if they all hold some sort of sentimental value only she can see.

I watch as her eyes grow wide in delight, how she delicately traces the lenses, I feel as though no thought the two of us could ever share would be accurate enough to describe how she feels right now.

Soon enough, Paige is out of sight buried deep between Nikon cameras and format cards. I turn around and walk towards the front of the store to busy myself and give her as much time as she needs in here.

The shelf next to the cashier holds disposable cameras for $15. Then it hits me. Paige is always the one to take pictures of me, why not I take pictures of her for a change?

I grab one off the shelf and quickly pay for it before Paige comes back to reality and finds me up here. The cashier hands me the bag that he placed the camera in and I thank him before turning to find my dear friend who I am afraid has lost her mind by now.