𝘴𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘯

Start from the beginning

Dominique swished nothing around in the cup and nervously glanced at Lexi who stared her down.

"Uh, cranberry...", She improvised and Lexi scoffed. That was actually her drink she chose for the wake.

"Vodka at a funeral, really, Sarah?", Lexi asked annoyed at her bestfriend and Dominique rolled
her eyes.

"Are you actually reprimanding me?", Dominique muttered signaling to 'Jade' who watched them.

"Yeah, you're right, uh... I... found this poem and I thought of you.", Lexi told her and sat in 'Jade's' bay window. Dominique plopped down beside her and pretended to drink on her cran and vodka.

"If it's C.S Lewis, I can't.", Jade replied.

"No it's not. I promise.", Lexi promised her.

"Every hospice nurse says that 'Grief is a long valley.", Jade recited. Dominique bets the actual Rue has heard that too many times to count on one hand.

"Yeah, but that's not the full quote.", Lexi informed 'Jade'.

"Yeah, well, it's enough for me.", Rue muttered.

"Well, the second part is kinda sweet, right Sar?", Lexi asked Dom.

"Uh, yeah. The sweetest. You'll like it, Jade.", Dominique said sarcastically trying to make 'Jade' like it. She could hear a small laugh from the audience. That was totally Rue.

"Over doing it.", Lexi mouthed to Dom and she looked to Jade.

"What is it?", Jade asked.

"Uh, 'A winding valley where every bend... may reveal a new landscape.", Lexi recited and Dominique smiled.

"See so sweet, huh, Jade?", Dominique asked and Jade chuckles softly, trying to keep the sad thing going on.

"Yeah, thanks.", Jade muttered back. "That's not that bad."

"Can I read this to you?", Lexi asked Jade.

"Uh, yeah, I'd love that."

"Uh, it's called 'Let this darkness be a Bell Tower' by Rainer Maria Rilke. 'Quiet friend who has come so far, feel how your breathing makes more space around you. Let this darkness be a bell tower and you the bell. As you ring, what battles you becomes your strength. Move back and forth into the change. What is it like, suck intensity of pain? If the drink is bitter, turn yourself into wine. In this uncontainable night, be the mystery at the crossroads of your senses, the meaning discovered there. And if the world has ceased to hear you, say to the silent earth: I flow. To the rushing water, speak : I am.'"

Lexi got up as Jade slumped over and blew the rest of whatever 'Jade' was snorting. Which 100% did happen.

Dominique stood and linked her arm with Lexi's as they make their exit.

A old recording of Lexi played since everything was so chaotic and it plays throughout the theater, "I knew Jade had been doing drugs, but it wasn't until that day, at her dad's memorial, that they were a greater comfort than Sarah and I ever could be. Maybe that's just a silly observation, but I was only 13. It was the summer before I started ninth grade  back when we thought we'd all be friends forever."