𝘵𝘸𝘰

Drink it away

NO MATTER WHAT Dominique Jacobs was intoxicated with she always dreaded the first day of school

NO MATTER WHAT Dominique Jacobs was intoxicated with she always dreaded the first day of school. She hated the ice breakers and the small talk she'd have to make. Overall the first day of school was complete and utter hell for her. The things she'd feel made her wonder if she should just quit school altogether.

She'd never been able to approach other kids. That's why she only kept friends she had since she was little. Her brother often rubbed her nose in it, calling her a loser. She quite honestly didn't give a fuck.

Lexi and Dominique sat on the gymnasium floor beside each other while they stared ahead at the teacher. Dom hated this teacher with her whole being, but of course, she sat through the class.

"So, let's start with a little improvisation," Mrs Applegate began while she started class. Dom played with her shoelaces while her chin rested on her knees that she pulled up the her chest. "I'd like each of you to get up and tell us a five minute story about your summer."

And at that, Dominique tensed.

Shit, shit, shit. Dominique looked to Lexi who'd been cool as a cucumber. God, this morning was an awful one to stay sober. These type of things were the death of her and it didn't help now that it felt like everyone would laugh. They'd all judge. She was sure of it.

She wracked her brain for coping mechanisms, but, damn, she knew none. In fact, she pushed them into the part of her brain that had cobwebs, like an asshole. Dom was fucked up the ass and around.

"It's okay, Dom." Lexi whispered, sensing her good friends discomfort as she clutched at her clothes.

Rue groaned softly and maneuvered onto her side, briefly catching Dominique's attention. She'd rather not do it either, but for different reasons. Everyone knew what Rue did this summer.

Dom began to count the lines on her palm to distract herself before she melted down into a puddle of fear. She seen beads of sweat form in the crevices she attempted to count before she just lost track.

"Looks like we have our first volunteer. Rue," Mrs Applegate called on the mopey girl who'd slumped over in avoidance. Dominique would've done it too if it wasn't something that would draw attention to her.

"Please don't do this to me," Rue muttered in response to their teacher. Dom's eyes pulled away from her cold, sweaty palms to look at Rue.

"Come on, everyone. Let's give her some encouragement," Mrs Applegate instructed the bland and quiet class, who gave some mildly depressing clapping in which Dom did not take part in.