Chapter 20

Regina's Journal
The Sea
Anglus 17, 1813

Logos is lost. I haven't written for two and a half years and it's these words which herald my return. We failed.

Regina's Journal
The Sea
Anglus 21, 1813    

I owe it to future generations and myself to record the events that led to the downfall of my home. It began when I left Breaker Bay with my Master in the fall of 1810. He'd stumbled upon me and offered the education in witchcraft I wanted and needed. It was to be a very dangerous education as he had banded together with other magicians from Logos to fight the invaders and their court magicians.   

Master Skye was not the only magician who brought their apprentice to the front lines. 

The Masters–
Camilla Appleton
Beckett Horn
Geoffrey Bearnette
Miri Ranoksi
Richard Piper
Jordyn Skye

The apprentices–
Ziff Gray apprenticed to Appleton
Veronica Pickett apprenticed to Horn
Thomas Griffin apprenticed to Bearnette
Katherine Parr apprenticed to Ranoksi
Blake Howard apprenticed to Piper
Regina Mustang apprenticed to Skye
I spent many months learning what plants are most useful for a variety of magical potions. I often trained in magical combat with the other apprentices. The specific details of this training would fill many volumes so I'll skip them.

The week before the end started normally enough. We were in the woods at our camp when a message came to Appleton. As leader of our group she met with the informants we'd managed to buy from the Draconian ranks. She called us all over to discuss an opportunity.

The siege at Ladiv was nearing the two year mark. Ladiv, capitol of Logos, was heavily fortified and the last stronghold left. If the Draconian army gained control of the city the war would be over. Just like the people inside the city the Draconian army was running low on supplies.

As it turned out there were simultaneously two secret missions to supply each side with the provisions needed to carry on the siege. Someone had leaked the information to the Draconians that a mission to supply Ladiv was underway and the army was sending agents to stop it. A very critical choice was before us.    

We could either split up sending some to stop the invaders from getting their supplies while the others went to the supplies headed for the city; or we could all go and do our best to defend the supplies headed for Ladiv.

"I agree with Master Miri. It's far more important to make sure Ladiv gets their supply than try and stop one from reaching the Draconian forces," I said.

"You're both wrong," Ziff challenged. "The Draconian army is spread thin for the first time in this war. They're too preoccupied trying to put down every pocket of resistance in the outskirts of the country before they declare victory. If we stop a supply from getting to the army they might retreat because they'll starve if they don't. Another supply would take too long to get there."  

"The people inside Ladiv don't have the option to retreat. The Draconians might starve. Ladiv will. King Leopold will surrender before that happens," Master Beckett piped up. He was normally a very quiet man so when he spoke we all paid attention.

"I agree the city needs us more. Ziff just wants to get into the biggest fight." Katherine said with a pointed look at Ziff.

"I do not!"

"Yes you do. You're trying to make up for losing the combat exercise the Masters put us through last week."

"My plan would have worked if Veronica hadn't of sneezed."

Veronica snorted in disagreement.

"This isn't an exercise," Appleton said sternly. "What we do may very well determine the outcome of this war."

How the vote stood:

Those for splitting up, Geoffrey, Richard, Ziff, Thomas.

Opposed–Appleton, Beckett, Miri, Skye, Veronica, Katherine, Blake, and I.

🌺

Appleton put us into battle formation around the caravan. We'd made our presence known to the soldiers and they were instructed to carry on as if we weren't there. We were posted in groups around it so that no matter what direction the Draconians came from they would meet sorcerers first.

I was stationed on the north side with Master Skye and Ziff. Masters Geoffrey and Richard with Blake held the west. Master Beckett with Veronica and Katherine held the south. Masters Appleton and Miri with Thomas held the east. According to our information the Draconian soldiers would most likely try ambushing from the west and east so Appleton decided having two masters there would be best for defense. The caravan moved under cover of night and for three days there were no attacks or signs that any attack was coming.

    I suppose that's why Masters Geoffrey and Richard did what they did on the fourth night. The fourth night was the night that we would have gotten the supplies to the city. It was the night that would have assured Ladiv wouldn't have to surrender.

We were alerted to the danger when Blake ran up to us. Both Masters on his side left to try and stop the supply going to the Draconian army. He couldn't talk them out of it. Ziff applauded the two as obviously what we had been told was wrong. That statement was quickly proven incorrect as a large group of soldiers began an assault on the west. Master Skye ordered Ziff and I to stay and protect the north while he and Blake, Blake was the oldest and most advanced of the apprentices, tried to retake the west. 

Ziff and I were soon attacked and together we combined our magic and sent purple fireballs at the enemy. We tangled them in nightshade thorns, and threw seeds of large trees on their person and made them grow which trapped those unlucky enough to be struck inside of trees.

We weren't attacked by any magicians so the Draconians must have needed them elsewhere; however the number of soldiers was much greater than what we had been told to expect. There being no rival magicians to challenge us accounted for why we did so well but it didn't last. I don't know how long it was before Blake ran to us covered in blood saying Skye had been killed.

I felt grief but it would have to wait. Blake was badly injured, we were running out of magic and based on the flashes of light to the east Appleton, Miri and Thomas were still fighting. No more soldiers were left to challenge us on this side. We couldn't go and try to defend the west it was too overrun so we went east and found an equally bad situation.

Miri was dead and Appleton and Thomas were being swamped. Even with three more magicians to fight we couldn't take them all. The Logosese soldiers weren't fairing much better. North, east and west gave orders to retreat and leave the supplies. We had no choice but to follow. We fled south where there had been light fighting.

All three of our magicians survived on that side. Blake later died of his injuries which were too severe for even Beckett to heal. We watched from a hill as the Draconians carried off the life giving supplies meant for Ladiv. We never saw Geoffrey or Richard again but heard that the Draconians received their supplies so they failed.

Our group held together for a month before Beckett, Veronica and Katherine left. Master Beckett had taken on Katherine as an apprentice since Miri died. After that it was just Master Appleton, Ziff, Thomas and I. Appleton couldn't continue the fight without Masters.

She offered to continue my training but I declined. I made my way back to Breaker Bay where Mrs. Kirke had a letter waiting for me. It had been six months since I'd been back. Father had finally sent the last of the money I needed to sail to Myras. Prices had continued to rise as the war went on and for the first time I had enough to leave.

So here I am. In three months I shall be with my father again. My country has fallen but I am heading to my only family left.