Truth Hurts

~Zephyra~

I drifted in and out of sleep. My head throbbed but it didn't really hurt. When I woke there were different people around me. Sometimes it was Ron or Harry or Fred and George - I even saw Ginny. I didn't speak to anyone but I was aware enough to drink whatever potion was left for me on the side table, and I remembered Fred taking my arm and writing something on it. 

When I woke and was able to stay awake, I sat up. The room moved like I was onboard a ship. I saw a vial was on the bedside table and uncorked it, drinking it in one gulp. Then I looked at my arm and the writing Fred had left.

You're an idiot, and it was signed - your idiot x

A sort of tingling erupted by my diaphragm and I had to pause, closing my eyes with a dopey grin on my face for it to stop. I hated him. I hated his stupid charming face and his stupid hair and his stupid messages. Seriously, what a prick - why did he have to make it so hard to hate him. He'd left more flowers a few days after the first bunch and then more after that. He'd stopped the game to try to stop me getting hurt. He was just so...

A tinkling laugh made my head snap up. I knew immediately it was Umbridge and if anything was an antidote to happiness it was her. She was dressed in another appropriately hideous pink outfit that I wanted to donate to a landfill. 

"Nice to see you awake, Zephyra," she said. I tried to rearrange the disgust on my face into a smile but failed and I hoped she'd think it was just from pain. 

"How are you doing?" She said. 

"My head is pounding but I feel alright," I replied. She hummed, the eerie smile staying on her face. 

She moved around the side of the bed and I wanted to slide off the bed onto the floor. She pulled up a chair and sat down. 

"I would like the truth now, my dear," she said, her voice honeyed.

"What would you like to know?" I asked.

"About Harry's club."

"The DA?" I wasn't sure why I'd said that. 

"The DA, is it?" She said with a lecherous grin. 

"Yes."

"When do the DA meet?" She asked. 

"Wednesdays and Saturdays," I said instantly. I froze after speaking, my hand coming up to my mouth. What was I saying? 

"Where do you meet?" 

My hand was still covering my mouth and she couldn't make out the words I'd mumbled. She reached for my hand, trying to pry it away from my face. I looked wide eyed around the room, searching for someone or something to help. 

My heart felt as though it had jolted alive with the waves of adrenaline in my body. I was panting as I pulled back from Umbridge.

Why was I saying these things? It was like I was on veritaserum. My eyes landed on the vial I'd drunk. I thought it was from Madam Pomfrey but it might not have been. Fuck. 

I tried not to panic. If I told her about Sirius he could go back to Azkaban. If I told her about the Order, it could get out. If I told her about the DA then she'd shut it down and students wouldn't be able to defend themselves against Death Eaters.

Had she planned this? How much? Did she ask the rest of the team to hurt me on purpose, so she could ambush me? I didn't drink the tea in her office so she'd decided to do this.

When my hand was finally ripped from my face I did the only thing I could think of - I couldn't be forced to answer anymore of these questions. 

I screamed. Loud and piercing enough that I couldn't hear her over the sound of it ringing in my ears. It echoed around the room and my eyes squeezed shut from the effort. My lungs burned and I thought I might pass out.