The Ball

~Zephyra~

Some looked confused as we entered the hall, but many (mostly Slytherins) looked downright murderous. A ripple of nerves ran through me and I found myself holding Fred's arm a little tighter. I raised my head and met the glares, knowing that there was no point in being ashamed anymore. I lifted my arm as high as I could, while holding Fred's hand and he immediately realised what I was doing and spun under my arm - thankfully not falling over. He did it three or four times before facing the front again and bowing. Someone clapped loudly near us and we turned to see George, who was looking mischievous and grinning wildly at us.

"This is wonderful! Aw, we have to get a picture! Anyone got a camera?" George said, gesticulating animatedly. He sauntered closer to me, a conspiratorial look on his face. "Zephy, this might be - and I'm not being dramatic - the best moment of my life." And then he pulled me into a big hug, completely taking me by suprise. I laughed and pushed him off, even though I felt elated.

"What can I say, I'm a miracle worker," I said. People were mumbling and talking about us in the crowd but I began to stop caring.

"This is bloody brilliant!" Came Ron's voice as he emerged from the crowd with his partner.  "I'm never going to let you live this down!" I smirked along with him and Fred just shrugged. 

It was... interesting that Fred hadn't cared much about wearing the dress - he seemed worried it would get me in trouble but he didn't seem concerned about being joked at because of it, or being emasculated or any of that bullshit. It was... well... interesting.

"Well, well, well, I didn't know my sister could sink to new depths trying to humiliate herself," Draco said, sneering at me as he approached. "Is that a muggle outfit?"

"I think I look quite stylish in it," I retorted, flicking back the side of the blazer and jutting out my hip.

"You look like a person with no respect for the Malfoy name. You know, when father hears about this and the person you're going with - " he glanced sourly at Fred, " - he won't be pleased."

I forced a smile onto my face and turned away from him without answering. I wouldn't think about it just yet - I wanted to enjoy this all first. Fred was glaring over my shoulder at my brother, so I decided to pull him away.

Hermione made a grand entrance, looking stunning in a periwinkle dress. I was glad that she looked so wonderful, since Ron and her had been having a spat recently.

The hall was decorated beautifully, looking like it was made of ice and snow. Christmas trees scattered about the edge of the hall and small pixies dancing in them. Snowflakes fell from the enchanted ceiling and I couldn't help being slightly awestruck.

A few people approached us, mostly muggleborns, who liked our outfits. Fred took all of this in his stride, chatting with them easily and doing twirls to their applause. The Slytherins stood away from me, and I noticed them whispering to each other. 

"Would you like to dance, Miss Malfoy," Fred said, offering me his arm. I took it happily and we sauntered into the middle of the dancers. We grappled with each other slightly, not knowing where we should put our arms or hands. This was made worse by the fact that Fred wanted to do a twirl every few seconds, but also couldn't stand in his heels very well. We ended up clutching onto each other, overbalancing and almost falling, both spinning and laughing furiously. It was a pleasant feeling being so close to him, it felt freeing as we both laughed and stumbled our way around the dance floor. I wasn't worrying about how my peers would think of me for the first in as long as I could remember.

"Punch?" He said, leaning into me and putting his hand over the spot that the hip flask was hidden in my inside blazer pocket.

I nodded and he stepped closer, masking the action as us dancing. His hand slipped beneath the fabric of the blazer and quickly withdrew the flask, hiding it in his sleeve. It happened so fast I felt a little dazed, he was already moving away and I swayed towards him like I didn't want him to go. Catching myself, I stepped back, brushing my hair off my shoulder and ignoring the warmth in my cheeks.