ronin

"hotel?" grillz asked while i ate pizza and running my hands down the dogs fur.

"no way. hawkeyes gonna stay in a hotel for christmas? man, take the bed i'll get the couch."

"the-the-the couch will be great, thank you."

"here bud." i whisper while feeding the dog part of the pizza.

"almost forgot. missy dropped off the new suits for you two and kate. you wanna see 'em?"

"you know i do. just... just not right now." i sigh leaning my head on the couch before closing my eyes.

"you did the right thing. you did it to protect her." i hum before falling into a sleep.
...
im walking when i stop in front of the place i wanted to be at.

on this site in 2012 during the battle of new york the avengers first assembled.

steve rogers
tony stark
thor odinson
bruce banner
natasha romanoff
clint barton

"aunt natasha... i really need to talk to you right now."  my voice wavering slightly as i tried not to cry.

"you were the bravest of us all, weren't you? loyal, stubborn. you always had to win, didn't you? and for that stupid orange rock. i replayed that a million times in my head hoping for a different outcome." pausing i look down at my feet before looking back up.

"but i do my best everyday to earn what you gave me. just wanna say i'm..." i swallow the lump in my throat before continuing, "just wanna say i miss you. and i'm so sorry for what i'm about to do." i pull the hood on my head and walk away.
...
putting the sword on kazi's neck he begins to speak, "okay, let's talk." i grunt and punch him unconscious.

making my way down i slowly take down the tracksuits one by one; careful not to let maya see me. i grab one guy by the ankle making him shoot the other guys foot. the man groans while clutching his foot. i quickly cover him with a bag and punch him unconscious.

maya pulled out her gun and began shooting me as i ran in the shadows. slowly i make my way out the shadows, when she ran out of bullets, retracting my sword in my ronin suit.

she run up to me, releasing the butt of the gun. as soon as i pushed it away with my sword she attempts to kick my foot but i step back. she goes for a kick in the head but i block it off with my sword.

maya managed to take my sword away from me and use it against me. swinging the sword towards my face i lift my elbows to cover. punching her in the face she grunted making her lose her balance. kicking the sword on the floor maya regains herself and swings on me.

throwing punches at each other, my arms landed on her shoulder. her fingers squeezing onto my arm making me grit my teeth together. twisting my body so my back faces her i lift my leg and kick her a small distance away.

she immediately gets up kicking and punching. ending up on the floor maya eyes the sword on the floor. quickly i dive towards it before she can get to it using it against her and pushing her away from me.

she panted as i got closer to her, lifting the sword holding it towards her face with my left hand. my right hand lifting up the hood, and taking off my mask revealing my brown hair and brown eyes.

i pant while signing, "i wanted you to see my face."

"so i can watch you kill me?" she signed back.

shaking my head i reply 'no.'

"but if you or anyone comes after me or my family," i lift the sword closer to her face, "it'll be the last thing you do. you have my word. you and i, we're the same."

"you're a monster." she signed back, upset.

"we're weapons. but when you're filled with rage, it makes you blind. it could be used, could be manipulated. trust me, i know."

"i was tipped off about an informant about your boss."

"you're lying." she signed.

"yes your boss wanted your father dead. now he's using you-" she kicked my leg making me stumble forward pushing the sword into the headlight and hitting my head on the hood.

she stood up grabbing the sword lifting it up ready to stab me but before she could push down an arrow flew, hitting it making it fall.

clint stood holding his bow up at maya, while kate stood reloading her bow. when maya looked back down i was already gone.
...
"what the hell were you thinking?" clint scolded as soon as they caught up to me.

"finishing what i started." i pause thinking again before turning to kate.

"i bet you're wondering how i found you." i gave a questioning look before nodding my head to the side already knowing how.

"you tracked my phone, didn't you?"

"yeah."

"so this rescue mission, you got an escape path?" i ask while panting trying to catch my breath.

"hey, are you tabitha?" a man in a gray car asked.

"yes." she replied opening the door as i clutched my arm.
...
i sat staring at my hands in the silent car.

"well, there's, uh... one more thing we should worry about."

"yeah? what's that?" clint asked while staring down.

"um... do you remember the girl from last night, the one in the mask?"

we both hum waiting for her to continue.

"um, i spoke to her." i lift my head looking slightly at kate.

"she said she's natasha's sister." i finally look at her completely.

"yelena." i say in realization as they both look at me.

"yeah." she whispered.

"okay." i nod looking back down at my hands before getting out the car.

"you alright?" she asked as i held my arm.

"yeah."
...

"dance. no dance." i smiled at kate trying to make the dog dance.

"you made it look so easy and cool. yeah grillz is cool. you can cook, you can LARP, you can put out fires."

"ah stop it." i smiled at the interaction. kate's phone vibrated and i watched as her smile dropped.

"what is it? kate?" i ask concerned.

"look at this." she handed me her phone and i ran a hand down my chin. "who's that with my mom?"

"that's the guy we've been worried about this whole time." clint responded. "king pin."