Chapter 76

Usagi, Harusuke, Ami, Makoto, Luna, and Chibiusa, were all in Usagi's room, playing chess. Usagi was playing against Ami while everyone else watched the two. As it stood, Usagi was losing, while Ami was calm and collected as it was her turn. Then she picked up her piece and knocked over Usagi's king.

"And Checkmate," Ami said.

Harusuke, Makoto, and Chibiusa applauded, feeling impressed, while Usagi groaned in defeat.

"Aw, man. You beat me again," Usagi sighed. "And I even studied the guide to chess too."

"Don't worry about it, Usagi. It was a good game," Harusuke said. "You are just starting, after all."

Usagi then smiled at Ami. "Ami, you're even more amazing than I thought," she said to her. "Not only are you smart when it comes to school stuff, but you're an ace chess player as well too."

"Thank you for saying so, Usagi," Ami said. "Chess is the perfect mental game for developing a calm demeanor and precise decision-making."

Chibiusa then snickered. "Calmness? Precision? Usagi couldn't develop those things even if she stood on her head, but Ami is pretty awesome!"

"Well, now that you mention it, Ami was the junior chess champion of Japan, isn't that right?" wondered Makoto.

Ami's cheeks went pink with embarrassment. "That was just luck," she said shyly.

"Well then, here's an idea. Why don't we all learn how to play chess from Ami?" suggested Harusuke. "We could all learn and be as good as her if we practice."

"Eh, I'm going to pass on that," Makoto said. "I'm not exactly good at being calm."

Usagi then laughed. "I'll say. When it comes to being calm, you're even worse than I am, Mako."

Makoto's cheeks flushed as she pouted huffily. "Well, you didn't have to go that far and agree with me."

Luna sighed. "Talk about the pot calling the kettle black," she thought.

Chibiusa then looked across to Usagi. "Say, Usagi, you want to play against me?"

"Sure, but don't expect me to go easy on you," Usagi winked. "I'm going to teach you how to be a gracious loser."

But Usagi would soon regret saying those words, for no sooner than the game barely started, Usagi found herself losing again as Chibiusa tipped her king with her knight.

"Whoa! Don't do that!" Usagi cried. "We've only just started! Do-over!"

"Nope! No do-overs," Chibiusa denied. "When in battle, never show mercy to the enemy."

"Wow, you're pretty good, Chibiusa," acknowledged Ami.

"I'll say," Harusuke said. "Not too shabby there, kiddo."

Makoto then stood up, glancing at the clock. "Sorry, you guys, but I should get going now."

Ami looked at her watch. "Oh my, look at the time. I've got something to do, too."

"Are you off to do some Cram School?" asked Ami.

Ami shook her head. "No. I'm heading to the Chess Tower," she replied.

"Chess Tower?" repeated Usagi. "What's that?"

Ami then got an idea. "Rather than explaining it, how about I show you?"

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

In the UFO, Rubeus, Berthier, Calaveras, and Petz watched an image of Koan working hard in a beauty shop, satisfying a happy customer, and they were not pleased.