Chapter 24

It was a hot, sunny day in Juuban. Everyone was having a good time swimming and relaxing at the community pool. However, one person wasn't having as much of a good time as the others, kicking her feet in the water absently. That one person was Naru. She was lost in her thoughts, thinking about only one person. Mr. Sanjoin. She couldn't help but think about how wonderful and handsome he was. Yes, she couldn't believe it, but she was head over heels in love with the man.

Just then, a splash of water hit Naru's face snapping out of her daydreams. The splash of water had come from Usagi, who was splashing the water at Naru trying to get her attention.

"Splish! Splash! Splish Splash!" she said.

Naru then sighed. "Geez. You act like such a kid, Usagi," she said.

"Well, I try my best," laughed Usagi taking it as a compliment. It didn't take her very long to realize, causing her to glare at Naru. "Wait just a minute!" she scowled. "Are you saying that you're not?"

"That's right," said Naru snootily. "And you know why? Because I know what it's like to be a grown-up in love."

Usagi stared blankly at Naru, taken aback. "Hold on a minute!" she cried. "Are you saying that you're actually in love with someone? I mean, you have to have someone to actually like, you know."

"Oh, come on now, Usagi," Naru said as she blushed while she touched her cheeks. "I know that, and I'm telling you I am."

Usagi's jaw flapped open in shock. "You've gotta be kidding me!"

Then Harusuke came up, bringing a couple of towels while drinking a can of tea. "Keep it down, Usagi. You're causing a racket," he said. "What are you even screaming about anyway?"

"Harusuke! Naru's just told me that she's in love with someone!" Usagi said.

"Oh wow. That's good," smiled Harusuke as he sat down. "Who's the lucky guy? Umino, perhaps?"

"It better not be Tuxedo Mask or Motoki!" said Usagi. "Cuz I called dibs on those two!"

"No. It isn't either of those two," said Naru. "I told you that it's a grown-up kind of love."

"Well, don't keep us in the dark, Naru," said Harusuke as he took a sip of his tea. "Who's the guy? If you don't us wondering."

Naru giggled. "Oh, alright. I might as well tell you two," she said. "It's Mr. Sanjoin."

Usagi's eyes went wide as saucers, and Harusuke immediately choked on his tea, spitting it out.

"Whaaaaaaat?!" the two yelled.

Naru was surprised by their reactions and was puzzled. "What's the matter, you two?" she asked. "You don't need to act surprised. Is it because he's not a boy? I know he's a little old for me, but you know what they say, age doesn't matter if there's love."

Usagi and Harusuke looked at each other worriedly. Naru still had no idea that Mr. Sanjoin was Nephrite and was very troubled upon finding out her feelings for him.

"Listen to me, Naru, me and Harusuke know all about him, and he's bad news!" said Usagi. "He's no good!"

Naru was now cross. "Oh, just forget it!" she snapped. "I never should have told you two!"

And with that, Naru huffily stomped out of the pool, leaving Harusuke and Usagi behind.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

A little later, Usagi and Harusuke called Ami, Rei, and Luna to meet at Rei's house, explaining the situation.

"This has gotten a bit complicated," said Luna.