Chapter 52

It was nighttime in Juuban. Usagi, Harusuke, and Makoto met up with Ami just outside her cram school.

"Come on, Ami! Pretty please?" begged Usagi as she nuzzled her cheek on Ami's shoulder. "Take pity on your poor, lost, little Usagi, and tell me the questions and answers on tomorrow's big test? Pretty please?"

As she continued to beg, a couple of people noticed her and couldn't help but snicker at Usagi, much to Ami's embarrassment. Makoto and Harusuke, however, didn't say a word, pretending that they didn't know her. Ami then looked at Usagi, and the ordango blonde's eyes sparkled, thinking that she had finally given in. At the same time, Makoto whipped out a small notebook, her pencil at the ready. However, Ami's face was stern as she yanked her arm away.

"Now you listen here, Usagi!" Ami spoke firmly. "Even if I were to give you all the right answers, if you don't understand them, it would only end up hurting you later in life."

"But the big test from hell is tomorrow, and it's going to hurt more! I'm always failing those big tests!" whined Usagi. "I'm like a "drowning person trying to grasp at a string rope"!"

"First of all, you mean you're grasping at straws," Harusuke corrected. "Secondly, you should listen to Ami, Usagi. She's made up your mind, and you have to accept it. Besides, if you got time to beg, then you got time to study of which was what I've been trying to tell you."

"Yeah. You're asking way too much of Ami," added Makoto, patting her shoulder. "You should just accept it and move on."

"And what about you, Mako?" Usagi spoke, glaring. "Explain why you're here too!"

Makoto gulped as she scratched her cheek. "Well, I figured if I asked Ami some questions, then acing tomorrow's test would be easy," she said.

"So basically, your reason is the same as Usagi's," Harusuke sighed. "I might've known."

Now Ami was cross. "Just listen to the both of you!" she scolded. "We're going to be third-year students next year. So when it comes to your studies, you both need to get serious!"

Makoto then sighed. "Yeah, you're right," she said apologetically. "I feel ashamed now..."

"Well, when that time comes, we'll all figure something out!" Usagi spoke brightly. "No need to worry."

"I don't need to worry because, unlike you two, I study," Harusuke said. "So don't even think of lumping me with you two."

Suddenly, there was a scream, which made them jump. Believing there was trouble, Makoto and Harusuke rushed down the hill from the school and saw what was going on. A young boy with short brown hair in a school uniform was staring at a strange creature. The beast was practically a pink humanoid lion that was colored pink, had razor claws and sharp teeth, piercing green eyes, and a billowing white mane. Also, just above it was a strange spinning wheel, like something you'd see from Sleeping Beauty.

The beast then roared as the wheel began to spin around and around. At that moment, a beam shot out from it and zapped the boy causing him to scream in agony as his energy drained from him. Seeing this, Makoto and Harusuke immediately jumped out, intervening.

"Stop right there!" Makoto yelled.

"Leave him alone!" Harusuke shouted.

The boy then saw Makoto. "No, Mako! You and your friend have to stay away from that thing!"

Makoto looked at the boy back and gasped, recognizing him. "Kenji?! Is that you?!"

At that moment, the beast roared at it pounced straight towards Makoto and Harusuke. Harusuke immediately stepped in between Makoto and the monster to protect her, but then, Kenji rushed on over and knocked Makoto and Harusuke out of the way just in time. However, he put so much force to knock them down; he ended up going over the edge of the hill and fell to the ground below in a sickening thud.