CHAPTER 18

Dumitra

"Please tell me what's wrong" I told Meave who just held on to her chest and looked at me with a sad smile. Blaze walked closer to her and crawled on her lap, Meave wrapped her arms around our mate and kissed her head.

"My lungs are failing, I- I don't have much to live..." She whispered, I looked at her confused. I didn't know how to feel.

"What do you mean?" I said in a low voice unable to talk louder, she gave me her hand and I gently held on to it.

"My father died the same way, a long time ago before me and Amanda were born. My grandfather was in a war with the fairies, and he was the main cause of them almost going extinct..." She started, neither me or Blaze said anything we just waited for her to talk.

"So the queen has cursed him, the eldest will die at some point of their life by suffocation, their lungs will slowly start to shrink until they no longer can breath, I'm the eldest. I knew this will happen but I never knew it'll be this soon" she kissed Blaze's red cheeks and wiped her tears. I was still speechless, there must be another way we need to find a way to reverse this curse.

"And no, there isn't a way to prevent this because my father spent his life trying to find a way" she finished caressing Blaze's hair who just gripped on Meave's shirt for dear life.

"Why didn't you tell us, we could've looked before it gets worse" I said, I was so upset at everything why does it have to be my mate and family.

"Baby, even if I did there's nothing you could've done. The queen who put this curse on my family is long dead and no one knows how to reverse it even the strongest fairies" she tried to explain but then she started to cough harder making me worry.

"That means one of our kids has it as well..." She whispered, Blaze got off of her lap and told her to lay back on the bed and to rest.

"There's a high chance it's Kaden and that's what's making me worry. I lived, I'm happy with my life and with you but our kid didn't and it pains me more than death itself" Meave said with tears running down her face, she gripped her chest and tried to control her breathing to take it easy on her weak lungs. I walked closer to the bed and gently caressed her forehead.

"I'm going to find away Meave, please just rest and stay strong until I do. I- I don't want to lose you" I said kissing her sweaty forehead, she put her hand on mine and just smiled sadly.

"If there is someone to save it should be Kaden, my lungs are too weak and it'll be too late before you find anything. So chose Kaden not me Dumitra" her eyes were slowly closing, I could still hear heartbeats so she was just sleeping. I sighed feeling helpless.

"What am I supposed to do now?" I said pulling Blaze out of the room, she was just spaced out and didn't say anything the whole time. she was just crying silently, I hugged her and told her that everything will be alright even though I didn't believe that myself.

Kaden

I was holding the ice pack on my face and just sitting in my room, what was I thinking? Challenging my mother like, my wolf was going crazy he wanted to show them that we aren't afraid of anyone anymore and if we have the power we'll be feared and respected. I am such an idiot. I heard a knock and by the scent, I knew it was Blake.

"Come in" I said pushing the ice pack closer to my face, she pushed the door gently and walked closer to the bed with Ava in her arms. I stood up and I picked up my daughter with a smile on my face, it's weird that she wasn't like me and my moms she was born like mama Blaze but I love her either way.

"She's been sleeping the whole morning and I thought maybe you'd want to see her" I heard Blake say as I laid Ava on the bed, she was looking at me and trying to hold my face. I put my face on her tiny stomach and she started making weird noises. I chuckled and kissed her little hands.

"Kaden, I want to apologize for everything I did back there" she said, I felt myself freeze but quickly composed myself and cleared my throat.

"I don't think I can forgive you Blake and even if I do there will always be distrust between us" I said not looking at her but still focused on out daughter who was busy sucking on her hand.

"I'm not asking you to forgive me immediately, I'm just saying maybe we can start over..." she said sitting next to Ava, at the sight of her mom Ava's attention went to Blake and she started moving trying to go to her. Blake picked her up and laid her on her lap.

"Who's my beautiful little girl" she said tickling Ava's tummy, I watched as she played with her and they both smiled at each other.

"Maybe..." I gave Blake a small smile and she looked at me in surprise,

"Really?" She asked hopeful, I chuckled and stood up.

"Yeah, maybe... So don't do something that'll make me change my mind" I threatened in all seriousness, she quickly shook her head no but gave me a smile back. I'm only doing this for my daughter...

The door opened and Konan walked in with a worried face, I gave him a confused look.

"Mama said she wants to talk to you it's urgent" he said breathless, I looked back at Blake and she just shrugged her shoulders and I nodded at Konan following after him. What is this urgent matter?

***********************
I'm sorry...
I just love drama

-S