Its a hostage situation

Start from the beginning

However, it had seemed that the person the Elder Lich had attempted to ambush had heard of the 'Supreme being', and had offered his assistance in exchange for 'mutual benefits'.

'...Indeed, could it be that He decided to send Kokabiel to assist me in his crusade to purge the weak and pathetic fools off this world?' The Riser-Lich tapped his dessicated cheek with the feather of his quill. 'True, it seems that this 'Kokabiel' had heard of Rias Gremory's marriage and had infiltrated the Underworld to ambush and kill her during her marriage ceremony, but it seemed that he had failed twice- both because she had been offered as tribute, or 'married', to my Lord and Master... and also because the marriage ceremony had never been held.'

For a moment the Elder Lich felt rage that the insignificant fleas would deny the Supreme Being a grand ceremony to celebrate the giftting, pathetic as the gift might be. However, the feeling was squished soon afterwards and the Lich considered the alternatives. 'Hm, indeed... Foiling Kokabiel's initial, foolish plot also drew his attention towards the 'Supreme Being', and the fool thinks he can use my Lord as a tool for his own miserable plan of merely restarting a war between the Three Factions, completely unaware that he's merely dancing on the strings of my Master who had manipulated his every move, and sparking a war between my Master's enemies while He squashes the survivors.'

'Well, at least Kokabiel is a useful tool in the Supreme Being's plan... Even if he does not realize it. The fact his magic has allowed my base to stay hidden only assisted His plan, and I already have enough sacrifices to nearly fulfill the mana requirements for the ritual to have my body transform to that of a Phoenix...' The Elder Lich wrote another symbol on the scroll he was creating, dipping a quill into his ink once more, with the amount of ink in the pot having been perfectly calculated so it would be consumed entirely in the writing process. 'Indeed, and if the Three Factions wage war against each other they will all be greatly weakened so my Master needs to merely reveal himself and all three will beg for him to accept their servitude, or give them a quick death.'

The Elder Lich had been more than a little worried over his ability, or rather his current inability to play the still obscured part of the grand act of the Supreme Being, on the account that he had failed to become a Undead Phoenix. The failure meant that he was left unable to play the part he had been ordained to play in the grand act with an end that was obscured to all but the Supreme Being himself.

The dessicated Undead had even shared his plight with Kokabiel as it became more and more clear that the access to Lord Phenix alone wouldn't allow him to complete his incomplete existence.

To his joy, the Fallen Angel had offered to assist, since his agents in 'Human world' had located a member of the Phenix family, and had departed to acquire an additional test subject for the Elder Lich. The concessions and pacts the Fallen Angel had demanded from 'Riser' and by proxy from the Supreme Being in exchange for the help had been accepted with little inertia, as the Elder Lich knew that Kokabiel wouldn't live to claim his prize once the man's usefulness to the Supreme Being came to an end. It was likely that Kokabiel realized it as well, which had made the Elder Lich a bit worried as neither of the two would do anything without strings attached.

'...Though, if I had known Kokabiel had intended to capture a Phenix from the grounds my Master had declared his, I'd have fought him to the bitter end...' The dessicated husk of a magician paused his work to observe the slowly forming circle on the paper. 'Yet... the fact Kokabiel had not been obliterated and erased from the very existence itself for daring to trespass upon His land, and attempt to lay hand on what was His made me wonder... and, I truly feel incompetent for even daring to think that Kokabiel had somehow managed to out-smart or fool my Master...'