Chapter 81: Stormstopper...?

Comincia dall'inizio

"You don't like it?" Jarshan sounds oddly disappointed. When I look over my shoulder, his face is calm, but I get a sneaking suspicion that he's pretending. You came up with that name, didn't you? "Well, I suppose it is a bit much. But the one who's going to finally restore the Sect to greatness should have a cool name, right?"

"Uhuh, whatever." I take one last peek up at the sky, just as the Mirebirds finish circling and head off into the distant horizon. Going home? Or somewhere new? I wonder...do they even have a home? "Call me what you want, but make sure the world believes that Janus was the victor of the Trials. I don't want anyone in Merekeep to suspect me. And I'd prefer not to have to change my name."

"You'll be fine! No Rainstopper would ever betray their Secthead. Well, not since you took charge, anyway." Jarshan laughs, reaching over and patting my shoulders. I've grown a lot taller recently. He doesn't have to reach down that much anymore. "You're going to head out soon then? Just as we planned?"

"Tonight, actually." Suddenly, I feel a bit cold. The evening air is growing chilly as the sun sets. It's strange, I should feel apprehensive. After all, this is it. Years of planning, training, and scheming. Building up my connections to set it all in motion. Turning to Jarshan, I lock eyes with him. "I trust you and Janus will be able to finish the preparations on your own? I'll be taking Meera with me."

"It's no problem," Jarshan nods. However, he suddenly looks thoughtful. "Say, what about that Demi-Cat of yours though? She's quite young...and without a family. Are you really going to just leave-"

"She'll have Elina!" I cut him off. My harsh expression causes even Jarshan to pause. "This is for her sake as much as mine. I owe them, Jarshan. You just want blood, but for us...this is personal. You got that?"

"Of course," he answers smoothly. However, he doesn't let it drop, "But perhaps you might reconsider. After all, Demi-Cats are quite loyal and capable fighters. Leaving such a young girl without her loved ones...I've run the Trials for several generations, and I can tell you, orphans need-"

"It's happening. Shut up, Jarshan."

"Yes, Secthead."

...

Grimacing, I pace nervously. Of all the parts of my plan, Jarshan has to poke holes in the spots that hurt the most. I know she needs a family damnit! What do you want me to do? It's way too dangerous to bring her with me! And even if I did, she'd only be tainted by the things that must be done. Perhaps I may need to apologize to her in the future, but at the end of the day, I'm responsible for Natalia. This is my fault. If I must make the hard choice between two evils, then I would choose to end this myself every time! No matter the cost, even if she hates me for it!

"Elina will do a better job raising her than I ever could..."

"Did you say something, Secthead?"

"No. Nothing." I start to move to go. Up here, on the highest peak of the Sisyphean Cliffs, I can see why Jarshan likes it. You can watch everything from here. The whole Rainstopper Sect is beneath you. At first, I had to have someone carry me. But now, four years after the healing, I don't need anyone to go where I please. The wind is at my beck and call, and my body moves the way it was meant to. Gracefully, I take a step off the edge and start dropping down towards Elina's hut. "Let's go. It's time to find Meera."

*Swoosh*

*Tap*

A short while later, we're down below, at the plateau. The Healer's hut is just as it always is. But it feels different knowing that this might be the last time I enter for a long time. A thin trail of black smoke curls over the top of the eye in the center. After it was destroyed in my fight with Meera, we rebuilt it and restocked it painstakingly over the years. Elina refused to allow any upgrades or changes. It's her 'cave' of sorts. A refuge that she lets only the most trusted or those who need close attention inside. Poking on the door, it swings open gently. No one is inside. I made sure to have Elina go out training with Natalia today.