Chapter 26: Not Good Enough

Another agonizingly slow week goes by. Every day feels like it takes forever. Before, I enjoyed each sunrise and the discoveries it was sure to bring. Now the morrow feels empty, and when I go to bed, I dread waking up because it only means that I will have had another nightmare. My training is going worse and worse. Romy says it's because I'm distracted. She's not wrong. But I can't help it. What can I do different?

The only thing which continues to improve is my mana capacity. No matter how messed up my mood is, the number of spells I can cast keeps growing by the day. Sometimes I think that I may one day actually be able to stop a thunderstorm through sheer power if this keeps up. But that's a pipe dream. With my focus the way it is right now, I'd be lucky not to fry myself, trying.

"Come on, Acolyte! Do you even want to leave?" Romy taunts me with her raccoon mask and I sigh, spitting dirt out. "At this rate, I'm beginning to think you don't want to leave!'

"You know I do!" I burst out, unable to contain myself anymore. Instantly, I regret it. Shoot...Raccoon Romy hates it when I speak during training-

*Wham*

A boot slams into my backside so hard I howl.

"Arrgh! W-Wait please-!"

*Wham*

"Tch..." I clench my teeth, hard. Satisfied, Romy lets me stand up.

"What's wrong, Acolyte? You were doing so much better before." Her voice becomes mocking, "Did you lose your nerve? Want to quit? Well, you can't! Your enemies won't quit just because you're slacking! Up...UP! AGAIN! Make it one more step closer!"

I've had it.

Enough.

I hate this place.

"No."

"What was that?!" Romy reacts instantly when she hears my refusal. However, I think she hears the change in my voice because she doesn't beat me. "Say that again! I thought I heard a lousy Acolyte talking instead of training, but maybe it was just the wind!"

"NO! I'm done!" Sheathing Mephis's dagger, I stumble away, limping slightly. Romy's kicks have deeply bruised my backside and I grimace. Damnit...I haven't made the mistake of talking this much in a long time. She really didn't hold back. Well...that's not true. I wouldn't be able to walk if she really tried to hit me. "I'm going for a walk!"

"Heh...giving up? Go ahead, run away!" She continues to jeer and taunt me as I leave and I sigh. I know that if I run back and ask Romy to hug me, she'll take off the mask and try to soothe my feelings. However, that's not what I want. I...just...want...to leave! And find Glacia, already! "Acolyte! You better be better prepared tomorrow!"

I nod and leave, knowing that Romy will see it even if I'm not facing her. She seems to know everything that goes on when she's in raccoon mode. Man, if I could only see the future, I'd at least be able to make it to fourteen paces from the tree, but every time it's a failure now. Shaking my head, I brush the dirt off my butt and stretch weakly. The calming sounds of the forest should be relaxing, but at the moment, the cawing sounds the birds are making in the treetops are only pissing me off. Can't you just shut up?

*Caw Caw Caw*

The birds flap wildly, never giving me any peace. Angrily, I shout at the sky,

[Flaming Ember of My Desire, Burst Forth-Burn]

A jet of pure flame streams out from the tip of my finger. It should scare them. But the birds of this place are made of sterner stuff. They have the blood of wild beasts in their veins. I know that even if I attack with magic, it's likely they'll just fight back.