6.7 melted souls

Y/N's pov ϟ

It was the first time Hermione really shut me out.

I groaned as I shuffled around under the covers, unable to fall asleep to Hermione's shallow breathing across the room. She stopped crying a while back after she sharply told me that she was fine.

Sometimes I wondered how she felt about Ron; for a while, I was convinced she only thought of him as a friend, but I could tell she cared for him deeper than that recently. I've never seen her so sad about anything, ever.

I turned over to pick up a picture frame of the four of us on my nightstand. It was during our fifth year, Harry's arm wrapped around my shoulders while Ron's arm was hovering right above Hermione's. As I look at it now, I wondered if he saw Hermione as more than a friend then.

Hermione and I were holding hands as the camera flashed. My lips curved into a small smile as I saw how happy we looked.

It was always us four as long as I could remember. I never really noticed how Lavender changed that until today. Ron and I don't really talk as much now that I think about it. Hermione seemed more on edge recently, always in the library alone. Harry tries to reunite them, but he seems to give up these days.

Maybe it's just the process of growing up.

~~~

The next morning Hermione and I packed up our things for Christmas break. She apologized about last night and we hugged it out like usual.

"I'll sit with you on the train," I mentioned as we continued cramming all of our essentials into our bags.

"No, it's okay," Hermione let out a small laugh, "You can sit with Harry and snog the whole ride home."

"Hermione!" I laughed as I threw a pillow at her face.

"What! Is that not what you two do all the time?" Hermione retorted playfully as she tossed my pillow back on my bed. "Besides, I could spend that time reading ahead for spring classes."

"No, I'm not letting you sit alone Mione, besides You-Know-Who is going to be snogging Ron the whole way back and I do not want to be around all of that," I snorted as I zipped up my bag.

I fell on my knees, pretending to beg. "We could do a girl's talk instead of textbook readings, please! And I'm sure you've already read the required readings twice by now."

Hermione giggled as she zipped up her bag. "Alright, let's go!"

I smiled as I linked my arms with her, walking out of our dorm towards the train station. Nothing could come between us.

Harry's pov ϟ

"Unbreakable vow..." Ron said questionably as I watched my breath fog up the train window, "You sure that's what Snape said?"

I looked at Ron, my eyebrows raised. "Positive, why?"

"Well, it's just..." Ron signed in disbelief, "you can't break an Unbreakable Vow."

"I'd worked that much out for myself, funnily enough," I tried to joke as Ron continued.

"You don't understand–Oh, bloody hell."

I turned to look at the window as Lavender Brown giggled, pressing her lips against the car window. I stared in disbelief as she started to draw a heart from the condensation, R+L written inside.

Ron sat there awkwardly, an extremely fake smile plastered on his face as I started awkwardly playing with my jean hem.

"I miss you..." Lavender sighed dreamily, her hand clasped together as she walked off.

"Lovely," I said sarcastically as Ron leaned in.

"All she wants to do is snog me... My lips are getting chapped! Look!"

I grimaced as I backed up as far as I could. "Okay, I'll take your word for it."

Right then, Hermione and Y/N walked towards the car, Y/N's arm wrapped tightly in Hermione's. Hermione's face slowly fell as she saw the drawing, walking off quickly.

My face fell as Y/N shot me a "Sorry!" look as she hurried off after Hermione.

I honestly thought about following her as Ron looked longingly after Hermione, his face perhaps even more droopy than hers.

"So what happens to you? If you break an Unbreakable Vow?" I spoke up, changing the subject

"You die," Ron said somberly as the sounds of the train track moved far into the distance.

~~~

"Lumos," I flicked my wand, watching the light disappear from the top of my wand. I skipped dessert for some alone time, lying down on my bed as I thought about what Remus said.

"You're blinded by hatred."

You know what, maybe I am. I do hate him with every bone in my body.

I kept thinking about what Malfoy could've been talking about as a knock came from my door. I sat up as the door swung open.

"So, what was that whole thing with Remus," Y/N began as she walked over, plopping down on my bed next to me.

"He doesn't believe me," I began, playing with my wand. "I'm telling you, I saw it with my own eyes."

"I mean, Remus could be right you know-"

"You don't believe me?" I turned around in shock to see Y/N furrowing her eyebrows. "If anyone would believe me, I thought you would."

"I'm not saying I don't believe you, Harry. I'm saying he could be right about you seeing this with your perception of Snape and Malfoy."

I let out a small sigh as I put my head in her lap. I could see her smile, playing with my hair as she continued.

"I do think that they're up to something though..."

I bit back a laugh at her thoughtful face, an expression she makes when she's contemplating about something. Her eyebrows slant in a specific way and the right side of her mouth scrunches up; quite possibly the cutest face I've seen in my lifetime.

"Never-mind that," I began as I tackled her into a hug, burying my face into her shoulder. She was the definition of home to me, a person I could always be vulnerable to about all my problems.

Her laughter was a melody in my ears as I pulled her body closer to mine, hugging her as tightly as I could. I always saw her as the color gold since she always shined brighter than anyone else. She was as warm as the color of melted gold; she was worth more than gold.

"You're the best," I whispered into her ear as we cuddled, my soul melting into hers. I relaxed into her frame as I placed my ear on her chest, falling asleep to the rhythmic sound of her heartbeat. My favorite sound on this planet.