6.3 quidditch tryouts

Y/N's pov ϟ

"So, what did Dumbledore teach you in your lessons yesterday?" I asked as I slid into the seat next to Harry for breakfast. He quickly handed me a piece of buttered toast as he spoke up.

"He didn't really teach me anything," Harry began as Ron and Hermione sat in the seats opposite of us. "I went into Dumbledore's memories."

"Memories?" Ron looked intrigued as he started piling sausages onto his plate. "What kind of memories?"

Harry motioned for the four of us to lean in as he started whispering. "Dumbledore took me with him when he first met Voldemort at an orphanage."

"Voldemort?" My eyes widened as I turned to look at Harry. "Well, what happened?"

"Well, Dumbledore found that he could do magic and went to tell him that he would be attending Hogwarts. Tom told him that he could speak to snakes too."

"Snakes?" Hermione butted in as she looked at us with mild surprise. "Parseltongue?"

"Yeah probably," Harry responded as he took a mouthful of eggs. "Also, Dumbledore asked me to get to know Slughorn. Said it was important."

"Odd," I murmured as I took a bite out of my toast. "Why do you think he's showing you these memories?"

"To understand him I guess," Harry shrugged as he opened his book bag, pulling out a long list. "Anyways, there are so many people for Quidditch auditions today, it'll probably take all morning. Dunno why this team is so popular all of a sudden."

"Oh, come on, Harry!" Hermione exclaimed as she looked at Harry. "It's not Quidditch that's popular, it's you! You've never been more interesting, and frankly, you've never been more fanciable."

Ron started gagging on his sausages as Harry turned bright pink. I nearly scoffed, thinking of Romilda as I started to play with my eggs.

"I mean, everyone knows you've been telling the truth last year and the entire Wizarding world had to admit that you were right about Voldemort being back. They're all calling you the 'Chosen One' now," Hermione explained as she took a bite out of her oatmeal.

Harry cleared his throat as he downed an entire cup of water. I hid my smile as I watched Harry urgently attempt to change the conversation.

"Well, how many people are on the list?" I asked as I turned to look at him. Harry quickly ran his finger down the long list and started counting.

"About fifty-seven people," Harry said after a couple of minutes. "Almost triple the usual amount of auditionees."

"Well, we didn't get to play Quidditch last year did we," I shivered as I thought of Umbridge. "Umbridge was an absolute nightmare."

"It feels like a fever dream," Ron commented as he took a pile of bacon and a couple of rolls. "Can't believe that that was only last year."

I nodded in agreement as the four of us quickly finished breakfast. We left the Gryffindor table as we made our way towards the Quidditch pitch.

The three of us were deep in conversation about this year's Quidditch team as we passed Pavarti Patil and Lavender Brown in the hallway.

I watched as Pavarti nudged Lavender once Ron neared them, Lavender giving Ron a wide smile. 

Ron looked confused before returning the smile uncertainly, his walk immediately becoming more confident.

"What was that?" I whispered to Hermione as we turned into the Quidditch pitch. "Did you see that?"