6.5 lavender brown

Harry's pov ϟ

"So tell me, Cormac, do you see anything of your Uncle Tiberius these days?"

I glanced up from my dessert to see Cormac smugly puffing out his chest at Slughorn as he scooped at his ice cream.

"Yes, sir, in fact I'm meant to get hunting with him and the Minister of Magic over the holidays."

"Oh, well, be sure to give them both my best," Slughorn responded as he turned to look at Belby. "And what about your uncle, Belby? For those of you who don't know, Marcus' uncle invented the Wolfsbane Potion. Is he working on anything new?"

"I don't know," Belby mumbled as he shoved the last of his chocolate ice cream down his throat, his face dirtied with stains. "He and Dad don't get along. Probably cause my dad says potions are rubbish. He says the only potion worth having is a stiff one at the end of the day." 

Slughorn ignored Belby as he turned to look at Hermione.

"And what about you, Ms. Granger, what exactly does your family do in the Muggle world?"

"My parents are dentists," Hermione spoke up as the entire room turned to look at her with confusion. "They uh, tend to people's teeth."

"Fascinating," Slughorn remarked as he furrowed his eyebrows in thought. "And is that considered a dangerous profession?"

"No," Hermione began as she let out an uncomfortable laugh. "Although, one boy, Robbie Fenwich, did bite my father once. He needed ten stitches."

I stifled my laughter as Hermione chuckled awkwardly, the entire room watching her. 

I glanced to my left to see Y/N looking over at me, a small smile playing on her lips. I returned the small grin as Slughorn spoke up.

"So, Y/N, what is your father up to these days? Tell me more about him, we didn't get to talk much at the Three Broomsticks!"

"Uh," Y/N began as she cleared her throat, picking up her spoon quickly to stab at the cream puffs in the bowl, shoving it into her mouth.

"He's actually working towards Ministry security as the head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement, sir," Blaise spoke up, the entire room turning to look at him with surprise. "I actually did an internship at the Ministry of Magic before the school year began."

"Oh, Blaise!" Slughorn hooted loudly as he clapped his back. "A dark horse you are! I didn't know you had connections!"

Blaise laughed awkwardly before nodding as he glanced over at her, giving her an encouraging smile. I watched as she returned it thankfully as she shoved another spoonful of ice cream into her mouth to avoid future conversation.

Blaise looked over at me, a smug smile playing on his face as he took a small bite of his dessert. I narrowed my eyes at him as he continued to eat, his eyes never leaving mine.

"Hey, you okay?" I whispered as Slughorn started making conversation with Neville, who looked like he was about to hurl.

"Fine, yeah," Y/N whispered back as she started picking at the ice cream on her plate. I placed my left hand on her knee, attempting to give her a somewhat comforting smile.

Y/N let out a small snort of laughter, quickly concealing it with a couple of coughs. I hid my laugh as she nudged me in the side with her elbow.

"Why are you giving me that stupid smile?"

"It's not stupid," I argued quietly as Slughorn was now in deep conversation with Cormac about Scrimgeour.

"Stop smiling or I'm going to start laughing," Y/N whispered as she picked at her dessert again.