Part 5.9

A DECADE OR SO BEFORE THE DARK AGES
BETHANY

The first time Bethany saw Onyx, she was five years old. She was hiding in the Forest of Sorrows, as she often did after Mama scolded her. This time she'd broken the magnamite pot, Mama's only one. Last time it was spilled fire-lily soup.

While her mood was blue as the orchestra of mushrooms bobbing in the corner, Bethany didn't cry. She was a big girl now.

Mama had used all her words this time. There was useless, Mama's favourite. Hopeless - Mama used that often too. Clumsy, stupid, ungrateful. Mama added the last one on because Bethany hadn't tried hard enough, even though Mama fed and clothed her.

Bethany tried to be a good girl, she really did. She didn't want Mama to be sad.

Perhaps Mama would welcome some fresh flowers for the soup tonight. They'd have to cook it in the wooden pot, but soup was soup. Bethany was pondering the best spots in the rainforest for flower picking when she heard the last sound she expected to hear.

Mew.

A black cat trotted out of the shadows, mew-mew-mewing its greeting. Bethany, delighted, held out her hand.

The cat sniffed it. What is your name?

Bethany jumped. The voice was in her head! She'd never met a talking cat before. "Are you from Sactaphrane?" she asked it. She knew some of the animals there talked.

I am from a place long gone.

It couldn't be Sactaphrane then, because that was still here. The cat licked her outstretched hand. Its tongue was hot and ticklish. Bethany giggled. "That's enough, kitty," she said. "My hands are very clean now, thank you."

The cat meowed again, this time with curiosity. Why is your hair that colour? All the others have had purple hair.

Bethany took an auburn curl in her fingers and inspected it. "Mama said I have to change my hair," she told the cat. "She charmed it, but she doesn't have much fire quartz, so sometimes she stains it with hair colour."

I see. Why does she do that, do you think?

"Because purple hair is for witches," Bethany replied promptly.

The cat chuckled quietly. Have you ever met a witch, Bethany?

"No..." Bethany shrank back, suddenly frightened by the intensity of the cat's large charcoal eyes.

Do you know what witches are? What they really are. Do you know where they came from?

Bethany shook her head.

Then let me tell you, Bethany. Let me tell you...everything.