Part 4.8

ALICIA
A YEAR BEFORE THE DARK AGES

Bethany's door was open, so Alicia strolled in. She never knocked. If the maid was busy, surely she'd lock the door.

A black cat leapt off the threadbare bed and streaked past her.

"You do know that pets are not allowed," Alicia said, annoyance clouding her aquiline features.

"He's a stray," Bethany replied quickly. She'd jumped to her feet so suddenly that the quill in her hand hit the floor with a splat, sending droplets of black ink scattering.

Alicia peered at the desk with some curiosity. "What is that?" she asked. She picked up the sheet of paper and read Bethany's spidery scrawl.

'The Jigsaw Boy

'The jigsaw boy was made of pieces. He had arms and legs that didn't fit. But his smile was seamless. And when he cried, his tears were whole.'

Bethany snatched the sheet out of her hands. "It's just a story I wrote."

Alicia didn't know Bethany wrote stories. Then again, Alicia hardly knew anything about Bethany at all.

"Well," responded Alicia, trying her best to feign disinterest. "I haven't come to you for strays and stories. The Yule Ball is upcoming."

"Yes, my lady. I will see to it that your dress is steamed and ready."

"Yes, but...do wear your own best, Bethany."

Bethany had attended them at last year's Yule Ball. She's worn a plain black dress with magnamite earrings. The expression on her face was perfectly funereal.

Alicia felt a prickle of shame as she recalled it. All her friends' maids had been prim and smart. She'd been short with Bethany that night. She felt guilty about it afterwards, but if there was one thing her parents taught her it was that reputation came above all else.

Bethany's gaze strayed to the window, where the sun was already dipping low into the hills. Pieces of blue glowed in the parts of sky it had already abandoned. Deep in the distance, a parsley smudge marked the edge of the Forest of Sorrows.

"Bethany."

"Yes, my lady."

She didn't shift her gaze from the horizon.

"I wasn't sure you'd heard me."

"I heard, my lady. You requested that I look presentable at the ball."

"That's right." What was it about the girl that made Alicia's nerves flutter? Was it those piercing eyes? They usually glowed with sadness, but they were sharp at times, too sharp. Eyes fit for a witch, her aunt would say.

Alicia decided to forego the wardrobe check. She'd pick an outfit for Bethany later, at her own expense if necessary. Anything to save her from last year's embarrassment. And anything to get her away from the odd sensation of her own bones closing in on her.

She paused at the door. "You did take care of the rats, didn't you?"

Bethany frowned, her gaze drifting to the attic. "Yes, my lady. I took care of the rats."