I'll make it up to you

Mia's Pov:

I stepped out of the dance studio with a huge smile on my face that instantly fell when I realized Vada wasn't there.

I called her and messaged her but no reply.

"Fuck" I muffled under my breath.
What if something happened to her? I can't lose her...

I readjusted my bag and began walking home. My anxiety was through the roof. After a while of speed walking, I finally made it.

As soon as I got inside, I poured some wine and sat down at the bar in my house. All I can think about was Vada. She has to be okay.

This girl has me in a chokehold. I don't mind it though. When I'm constantly thinking about her it's less time I'm thinking about the incident.
She was my escape. The person who made me believe in love and I have to pretend like my feelings aren't even there... when the words "let's not ruin anything" came out of her mouth a few nights ago—basically hinting that we should stay friends—my heart sunk.

Vada's Pov:

When the notification about the shooting popped up my mind blanked. Bringing me right back to where it all started. I could hear the gun shots and my nerves began taking over my body. Breathing became difficult as my chest was tightening. I couldn't do it.

Inhaling very shallow, fast breaths, I ran home as fast as I could.

I can't live like this anymore.

I ran to my room and locked it before anyone could come in.
"Hunny, why are you home so early?" My mom said through the door. "I thought you were going to Mia's?"

"Plans changed" I said trying my hardest not to cry. Obviously I felt horrible leaving Mia but I didn't want her to see me like that.

I pulled out my phone from my basketball shorts and saw multiple calls and texts from Mia.

————————————————

mia                               

are you mad at me?
just pls lmk if you're okay

vada... I'm worried ab you.

                                no not at all. im rlly sorry mia. can I maybe come over
tonight?

vada, you don't even have to ask just lmk
when you're heading over

————————————————

My plan was to make it up to her tonight. Maybe make her dinner or something and have a movie night. She'll love that. I mean shit, I can't even make ramen right but it's worth it to try and make her happy.

I put my phone down and stared at my ceiling.

"When will this end?" I whispered to myself.

i was drifting off to sleep until I had one of the worst nightmares of my entire life.

Normally it's the same thing. I basically relive the shooting again and again. But this time was different in the worst way possible.

The shooter came into the bathroom stall and shot Mia and then I woke up.

My whole body was covered with sweat and I felt like I was having a heart attack. I curled up in a ball and quietly cried to myself.

Why can't I catch a break?