36- Midnight Memories

Kaiden

I blink, registering his words.

"I love you, Kaiden."

The earth is still spinning and the sun is shining but I feel as if time has stopped.

"I don't ever want to lose you. I can't promise I'll not push you away whenever I get anxious but I promise I will always come back to you, like you do for me. I love you, Kaiden Pierce. So much. I'm sorry it took me so long to finally realise it."

I don't even know what to say. The dragons have disappeared, it's a strange kind of calm.

Like how they show in movies, the ringing silence after a battle when the good guys are victorious.

I have been trying to move on from him for a whole month and... I realise that I have miserably failed.

Sam, Vanessa - nobody managed to distract me from the fact that my heart belongs to this curly haired boy - who finally admitted that he likes me.

To himself, and to me.

"Could you say something?" He asks in a small voice.

There's nothing to say anymore.

I grab his face and kiss him, unable to form a coherent thought, sighing into the warmth of his lips against mine.

I've waited for this moment since the summer and... now finally, finally I've got it. There's no better feeling.

His lips move against mine slowly. It's the kind of kiss that inspires stars to climb into the sky and light up the world. The kind that takes forever and no time at all.

He pulls me closer, his hands around my waist, making happy little sparks run across my entire body. I straddle him, my hands going to his hair, the electric feeling traveling right down to my toes.

He bites my bottom lip, tasting like mint and coffee, his heady scent enveloping me. He pulls me closer and kisses me again, deeper, faster until we're both starved of breath.

I pull away and kiss his nose, then his chin and then his Adam's apple and his collarbone. He moans, interlocking his fingers with mine.

It's terrifying to acknowledge that he could break me if he ever left but I wouldn't even mind that because at least I was with him.
Even if it's for a fleeting moment.

He cups my face, smiling dreamily, resting his forehead against mine. I close my eyes, vaguely aware we're in my room.

This is real. We're here. He's here. I just kissed the person I've been dreaming about for half a year. A real kiss, without any inhibition. I am half expecting him to disappear the minute I open my eyes.

I can't believe he's here, he's mine.

"Kai.." He whispers.

I open my eyes, meeting his chocolate irises. He is still here and my stomach does a somersault.

"I'm scared..."

"Of?"

"This. Us. I'm scared that one day you're going to wake up and not... like me anymore. You're going to get sick of my need for constant reassurances and me pushing you away and the... anxiety. Most of all, I'm scared... that you're going to see me the way I see myself."