14 - Confrontations

Kaiden

I am so angry, my jaw is aching from my teeth grinding against each other. One question from me got him all defensive? He doesn't deserve to be mad at me. I'm not interfering in his life, am I?

It was a harmless question. What is so complicated that he can't tell me?

Man, I am stupid. I should just stop pretending we're friends and leave him alone. It's probably what he wants. He acts hot and cold. I can't understand him.

I storm inside my house to find my mother in the living room, watching television. I blink. I didn't expect to see her today.

"Woah, you look like you're about to hit something! Are you okay honey? You're back very late! At least text me if you're going to be late!"

"I did call you, Mum. You didn't pick up," I sigh, sitting beside her.

"Oh. I was in a meeting then. I haven't checked my call log yet," she says, running her fingers through my hair. I rest my head in her lap.

"Something bothering you?"

"I had a fight with a friend. Because I asked him a question about his relationship with a girl from our class."

Mum laughs.

"Why did you ask such a personal question?"

"Because he's my friend! I should know things about my friends right?"

"Hm, of course you should. But sometimes, people have stuff they don't share because it is either hurting them or because it would uncover a part of themselves they have buried deep."

"Oh? So I shouldn't ask questions then? Is that what you're saying? Because I don't see why to have friends if I know nothing about them. What is the point of such superficial attachments?"

Mum shakes her head, her kind brown eyes looking at me.

"Of course you should ask things Kai. But learn to read people too. Most times, we only see things from our perspective. Give people some time and they will come around, eventually. If they don't, well, let them go."

I sigh. She's right.

"Thanks Mum, I needed that. How do you always know the right thing? Being an adult must be nice, huh?"

She laughs.

"Trust me, the wisdom part is the only good thing. But with great power, comes great responsibility!"

"God you're quoting Spiderman! Officially world's best mom."

"Haha, it's an ancient adage Kai, originating in fourth century BC. It's trickled down into a lot of literary works since then."

"And now we know why you're old," I laugh, sitting up. She hits my arm. "Where's Dad?"

"He's gone on a hiking trip with Charles Everton and group. You missed him by thirty minutes. He'll be back by tomorrow."

"And how are you at home? No OPD today?"

"I've been tired lately. It's hard to not get involved with patients you know? The terminally ill ones at least. I went to Dr. Menzel, the therapist and she said I needed to recharge my brain's batteries."

"Oh. That's all, right? Mental fatigue? Nothing else right? You should get a full body checkup done."

A slight fear grips my heart. One which I don't want to address. Ever.

"Aw baby, don't worry. I'm fine! I'm thinking of going to Aunt Carol's for a few days. You know, a change of scenery. Will you hold the fort?"

I nod, patting her head.