3

Yoongi and Seokjin spent the next couple of months preparing for pups. From their training course, to CPR classes, renovating their spare bedroom and home office into bedrooms, and pup proofing their house, they felt as ready as they could possibly be to finally welcome a pup or two into their home.

At their final course before becoming certified foster parents, Seokjin found himself sitting in the middle of the room with a piece of paper taped to him that said 'displaced pup', holding a multitude of strings that connected him to the rest of the course, everyone with their own labels like 'father', 'teacher', 'case worker', and so on. "Imagine you just got yourself a cushy new job with great benefits. You can tell that it's the perfect job...but you also know that it's only temporary. That you'll eventually be fired just like with your last three jobs." The beta trainer then pulled out a pair of scissors. "That's how a displaced pup feels when they feel unwanted." She began walking around, snipping all of the strings. "Except instead of mourning the loss of a job, they're losing their connections with everyone in their lives." She stopped cutting when she got to the future parents wearing the labels of 'brother' and 'sister'. "But the one connection that stays strong is a sibling connection."

The other trainer picked up the lesson. "Siblings in foster care tend to adjust quicker because they aren't going through it alone, so it might be ideal to considering taking in siblings as opposed to just one single pup." Seokjin and Yoongi's eyes found each other as a silent agreement washed over them.

Not long after receiving their certification, Yoongi and Seokjin found themselves at an adoption fair, walking up to a table that their trainers were sitting behind. "Hi, guys! So glad you could make it!" She handed them a sheet of paper and pencil. "Just sign in and take this form with you. Write down the name of any pup you meet that you might be interested in."

Yoongi raised an eyebrow as Seokjin signed them in on the sign-up sheet. "Seriously? That's how it works?"

"I know, it does seem a little like shopping for pups." The beta sighed. "It's messed up, but the city still holds them because they do match parents and pups at a faster rate."

Seokjin suddenly pouted as something in the distance caught his attention. "Look at all of the big pups over there." He pointed to the edge of the fair where all of the older, most likely already presented pups had congregated.

The beta hummed. "Yeah, it breaks my heart. Most people want nothing to do with teenagers." She turned back to the couple. "Of course, if you two think you could make room for an older pup..."

Seokjin and Yoongi shared a look. "I'm sorry, we're terrible people." Seokjin said, guilt filling his features.

"You're not terrible." The beta assured him. "You can't blame people for having preferences. Now get in there and find you a family."

The couple headed into the center of the fair. "This is weird." Yoongi commented. "Normally if you chat up a random pup in a park, you're gonna end up in jail. And now they're telling us that's what we're supposed to do?"

Seokjin shrugged before pointing out a young pup playing by himself in the grass. "Hey, he's all alone. You wanna go say hi?" Yoongi nodded and followed his mate over to the pup.

Before they could say hi, they were intercepted by Minseo and Seojoon. "Occupied!" Seojoon snapped out, causing Seokjin to jump away. "We just left to get treats! So, back up!" Seokjin and Yoongi stared in shock as the desperate couple led the pup away.

The spent the afternoon attempting to talk and play with the many pups running around, but after a couple of hours had yet to feel any kind of click. When they had sat down for a quick meal and to determine if they wanted to continue or just leave, Yoongi found himself looking back at the group of teenagers. "Fuck this, I'm going over there."