Decisions and Confrotations

Start from the beginning

     I whirled around, eyes wide. I was not ready, I was not prepared, I am going to die.

     Seo-jun answered by ruffling my hair. I glared at him as I fixed my fringe.

     "Calm down, dumb dumb." He said. He nodded towards the door. "Go ahead down, I'll be right behind you. I'm almost done anyways."

     I swallowed and walked towards the door, closing it behind me as I descended the stairs. Slowly, I padded my way to the kitchen.

     "Hey mom, hey dad," I greeted.

     Mom immediately turned around. "Ye-seo, perfect! Your grandparents are coming over for dinner tonight and I haven't made takoyaki in so long."

     She reached over and grabbed my hands. "I could use the help."

     "Yes ma'am, of course I'll help." I reached for a few of the items on the table and started putting them away, leaving the ingredients we'd be cooking with out.

     "Can I talk to you both quickly though?" I asked, setting out the pan we would need.

     Dad patted my head. "It'll have to wait sweetheart. I have to head back out for a meeting. I'll barely make it back by dinner."

     I let out a huff. I should've expected he'd have more meetings. The new firm is always busy, and I'm on a limited time schedule.

     Which means I'll have to talk to them separately.

     "Mom, can I talk to you?" I asked as my dad left the room, the sound of the front door closing close behind.

     "Can you wait for a little bit? I'm honestly stressed out right now with my parents coming over and the new house," she sighed, running her hands through her shoulder-length brown hair.

     "Yeah, I feel you," I snorted.

     She didn't hear me as she started preparing the ingredients. I helped her by chopping up the vegetables and octopus as she got the batter ready. She generously oiled the takoyaki pan and added the batter, adding the chopped octopus, katsuobushi powder, and other vegetables not long after.

     I stood off to the side to watch. Behind me, I heard the stairs squeak. I looked over my shoulder as Seo-Jin entered the kitchen. He wasted no time reaching for one of the takoyaki, but mom smacked his hand away.

     "No 'hello mom' or 'how was work mom'?" She nagged, gesturing with a pair of chopsticks at him.

     "I'm hungry," he whined.

     They stood staring at each other for a few minutes. Then, Seo-jun lurched forward and grabbed one, sticking the whole thing in his mouth without hesitation. I burst out laughing as he immediately started fanning his mouth and mom smirked with satisfaction.

     "Should've waited," she sing-songed.

     He mumbled something unintelligible as he struggled to swallow. 

     She turned back around and started on something else. Seo-jun raised his eyebrows as if to ask, what'd she say?

     I switched my eyes from him, to our mom, and back, then pulled a face. I haven't gotten the chance.

     He rolled his eyes and sighed before gesturing to her with his hands. Just do it already.

     I shook my head.

     He raised his hands and made wing motions with his arms. Why? Chicken?

     I crossed my arms and raised my eyebrows. You do it then.