40.

Silence settles over the extinct land, like a melody coming to an end

Silence settles over the extinct land, like a melody coming to an end. The morning air is muggy and foggy, as if trying to hide the terrible misfortune the nights had brought.

Clifford barks through the deafening silence, sobs and birds mingle in the still morning. There is nothing left, the doors are shot, the crockery lies smashed on the bloody floor. The night before, a crime had happened that no one could remember.

The sleepy neighbour had gone over to see what had happened. No sooner had he reached the door than a shot went off, bullets shredding his flesh.

Harry stares out of the windscreen of the black car, stunned. His eyes follow the windscreen wipers. They wipe the blood and rain from the windscreen, but fail to stop them from coming back.

It's as if his life is closing in around his body. The walls enclosing him from his past, all the nightmares crashing in on him. He drowns in a fire that spreads through his body, burning down his last hope. They couldn't escape, he couldn't go home this time, and it would always be his own fault.

The fields around him burn, the rain fuels the spreading fire that hides the deeds of men. The constant beeping in the car is pounding through his ears, Louis is not wearing his seatbelt.

He takes a look at his slumped posture, he knows he lied when he said he was better this morning. He knows Louis lied to him so many times, whatever he didn't do. Tears rolled down his cheek as his hand disappeared into Clifford's fur. He clung to the dog as if his life depended on keeping the poor thing alive.

Sometimes he would collapse and his body would start shaking for minutes. He was caught in dreams and could not open his eyes. His body was exhausted, delusional from lack of nutrients and water.

Louis began to hallucinate, the walls trapping him in the dark room filled with the smell of blood. Filled with the sounds of the horses outside and the painful silence after the two shattering shots. Filled with Harry's screams and cries.

At the end of the day, he could do nothing but accept the horror that awaited him. This was what he got for all the times he wasn't careful. For kidnapping Harry. For living a lie and betraying everyone around him.

Punishment for his cruelty felt like the only thing that could make him continue his miserable life.

Harry's gloomy eyes looked at him, but he couldn't bring himself to look back. After all the shit he had done to Harry.

The first night he remembered Harry lying in bed next to him crying quietly. The second night he had shot two men. The horror reflected in his eyes made Louis' heart burst. He knew they weren't real policemen when they started shooting wildly until every sound fell silent.

He couldn't remember the third night. A blankness in his brain, as if he had blacked. He saw Harry stumble and then press against himself. Louis remembered holding still until he felt Harry's body shaking, tears running down his cheeks all night and his breathing erratic, as if he had just run a marathon. The only thing he remembered was the feeling of Harry's strong arms almost suffocating him as he hugged him to his chest.