Chapter 3

(Dipper pov)

I down another shot setting the glass down as I look at my watch. "Crap, I have to go."

"Come on." He whines slightly. "Can't you stay a little longer? We're having fun here."

"I know I know, and trust me that I would rather stay here much longer. But I have to get home. The moon needs to be set sadly and I have a whole day of sleeping to look forward to."

"That's all you do during the day? Don't you have angel prince duties?"

"I can't really leave my room since the light hurts my eyes and I don't really have a say in anything that happens up there. Mabel is older and since her power is about the sun so people would rather have her around."

"That sounds like it sucks."

"Nothing I can do about it. But it's been fun hanging with you, Bill. Maybe we should do it again sometime."

"How about tonight?"

"Maybe. I'll think about it."

He laughs as he gently pushes my shoulder. "You are such a tease, Dipper. Even worse then me sometimes."

"All jokes, aside I really do need to leave. I'll see you around."

Pulling my hood back up I exit the bar and fly back up to the heavens.

Climbing in my bedroom window I slowly lower the moon and stars hating this part of the day. I shut the window and pull the curtains closed to keep out all light before taking off my cloak and putting it in the closet just as my door gets kicked open.

"Mabel, how many times have I told you to knock? Or at least open the door like a normal person?"

"Kicking it open is more fun. Where did you go after the party?"

"I just needed some time to myself is all."

"Well I brought you this." She sets a plate with a slice of our cake on it on the nightstand by my bed.

"You didn't have to."

"I know, but I wanted to." She reaches behind my hair and pulls a leaf out of my hair before she gives me a knowing look. "Really? Again? We've talked about this."

"Mabel-"

"You know how dangerous it would be if the humans saw you. They can't have proof of our existence."

"Why would that be so bad?"

"If they knew we existed, they would constantly expect us to be like a genie. Things don't work like that."

"No one even saw me." I sit on my bed.

"What happened to your face then? I can tell it's got some bruising to it."

"I crashed into a tree by mistake. It wasn't that bad."

"Why do you keep doing this? You don't see me constantly sneaking out and breaking the rules."

"That's because you are too busy being useful and you don't because people would see you in the day."

"Well it's not my fault that you are useless and just coop yourself up in your room all the time." I look away from her, hugging my arms to myself as I say nothing. "Dipper, I'm sorry, I didn't mean that."

"Yes you did and you know it."

"Look, how about we go out and do something fun? We can have a day to ourselves." She pulls the curtains open making me wince as I look away from the window, the light already hurting my eyes.

"Mabel, I am just really tired."

"Well you wouldn't be if you didn't spend all night awake like an owl." I don't respong as I lay down pulling my blanket over my head. I know that she's trying to make a joke but it isn't funny at all. There are a few silent minutes before she speaks again. "I'll check back with you later." I hear her walk out and my door closes again.

Getting up I go to pull the curtains closed again but jump back as a face appears at my window. "Ah!" Taking a second look I realize that it's just Bill. Putting a hand over my eyes I gesture for him to come in.

I hear the window open and close. "The curtains are closed again so you can open your eyes."

I open my eyes as I sit on my bed. "What are you doing here?"

"I couldn't wait until tonight." He looks at the slice of cake Mabel left. "Is that-"

"Help yourself. Just like everything else she made it her favorite, so it's my least favorite flavor."

He picks up the slice of cake before sitting in my desk chair. "So? Did you get in trouble or something?"

"Just a small argument with my sister is all."

"What about your parents?"

"We never had any."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean we weren't born like that. More like we just were created. The staff around the palace took care of us until we could do things on our own."

He sets the cake on the desk before he kneels in front me taking both of my hands. I just give him a confused look.

"What are you doing?"

"I am going to cheer you up."

He gently brushes a strand of hair behind my ear before he starts singing again.

"Sunlight, falls heavy
Can't hide, you're awake already
Long night, you're unsteady
You don't even wanna be here, do you?
Cry out, not for the last time
It's funny how a word might save your life
And I'm saying a lot right now

But I don't wanna fight
I don't wanna cry
I don't wanna leave
I don't wanna be here, be here now
There's a bad taste in my mouth
I stumble in the dark, tripping on a heart
It's gonna leave a mark, maybe we can stay and wait it out
You're the one that talks me down
And even you can't help me now
Even you can't help me now

Headlight, dark highway
Drive on, but it feels all sideways
No signs, I'm a headcase
I'm alone, but I feel you, feel you now
Head down, I can't remember
If we left on a start or an ender
You and I we're so worn down

But I don't wanna fight
I don't wanna cry
I don't wanna leave
I don't wanna be here, be here now
Like a bad taste in my mouth
I stumble in the dark, tripping on a heart
It's gonna leave a mark, maybe we can stay and wait it out
You're the one that talks me down
Even you can't help me now

And we fall, and we break
And we turn our inside out
And we're lost in a daze for days and days and days and now
But I thought that I could turn it around

But I don't wanna fight
I don't wanna cry
I don't wanna leave
But I don't wanna be here, be here now
There's a bad taste in my mouth
Hell, I stumble in the dark, tripping on a heart
It's gonna leave a mark, maybe we can stay and wait it out
You're the one that talks me down
And even you can't help me now (sunlight falls heavy)
Even you can't help me now (sunlight falls heavy)
Baby, even you can't help me now (sunlight falls heavy)
Even you can't help me now"

I smile softly as his thumbs gently rub the back of my hands and a comfortable silence falls over the both of us."