parental issues - chapter 17

"oh my god oh my god oh my god, newt." thomas panicked, holding his ringing phone in the air like it was contagious. "help help help!" 

he was currently outside in the garden, with newt. they were relaxing on the trampoline (don't ask, relaxing on a trampoline is so relaxing. plus, they're both childish at heart. especially thomas. so was newt, but he couldn't really do as much because of his limp). 

newt groaned, sitting up to face thomas. "who the bloody hell is it?" 

"my mom!" he whisper shouted, completely panicking now.

"oh." he looked like a fish. "oh wait. oh shit. fuck, uh, it's okay. calm down. give us the phone." 

thomas handed newt the phone, gulping. "answer it." 

the blond looked up, wide-eyed. "you sure?" 

a nod of confirmation made newt answer it.

a woman's voice was raised and was shouting through the phone,

"thomas greene! why were you not answering your phone, you stupid boy?" 

thomas visibly tensed. "uh.. i-" 

newt's grip around the phone increased but he still put a hand on the brunet's thigh for comfort. 

"don't come up with filthy excuses. i know you're in scotland. you're supposed to be coming over so you can arrange the marriage." 

"mom, i-" 

"quiet. i'll book your flight, so we can look at the candidates-" 

thomas snapped. "no! you shut the fuck up. listen to me for one minute. all you ever do is talk, talk, talk! be quiet. that's all i'm asking of you."

when there was no response, he continued. "i don't want to get married, mom." he bit his lip. "i'm gay. i don't want a wife." 

"it's a phase. you don't know what you're talking about. all you need is a woman to be able to call your own, and you'll be just as normal as everyone else."

newt had had enough. he looked between thomas and the phone, and, ignoring thomas' shaking head, spoke up. "hello, ma'am. i'm newt, thomas' boyfriend. i'd appreciate if you didn't insult the LGBTQ+ community with your filthy words. it's not a great look on WICKED, is it now?"

thomas looked at newt, pissed. he moved his leg, making newt's hand fall off. 

"excuse me? his boyfriend? thomas, what the fuck are you doing? is teresa there." she yelled, then tutted. "why does my sister get the good kid?" 

thomas' eyes rimmed with tears. he couldn't. "because she had good parents, mom. she had good fucking parents. she was brought up the right way, her mom is amazing and loves her dearly." 

newt shook his head, trying to reach for thomas' thigh once again, but the brunet tensed up so he brought his hand back. he mouthed 'im sorry' to him, but he just ignored him and snatched the phone off him. 

"you're a shitty mom." he whispered, getting off the trampoline and ending the call. 

"tommy, wait-" newt frowned, watching him.

"no." thomas strided off, folding his arms to protect himself. he seemed like he was shaking. he went inside, leaving newt alone with his own thoughts.

"you shouldn't have done that when he specifically said not to yesterday, and when he was shaking your head." minho deadpanned. 

newt groaned, putting his head in his hands and blinking his eyes frantically. "i know, minho. i messed up, and it's up to me to fix it. i was just so pissed."