Chapter 37: Heartbreaking Ending

Börja om från början

"Rain, I'm waiting." I cut her.

I heard her sight again. "Ross asked me if he could pick you up out at your house."

"What!?"

"If you have any questions, well... Just don't. See you at the party hun!" She said and hung up on me.

Why the hell did Ross ask her to me up!? I really thought he would be mad at me for what happened a few nights ago. I guess I'll just have to wait to ask him in person.

I finally put on my black gown. Yes black. Pretty representative of my emotional state. But it was still beautiful. Put my black pumps on and I was almost already ready. Just as I was looking for a small purse, I heard the doorbell ring.

This reminded me of our fights every morning he would pick me up. Him, always early to make sure I would get stressed and hurry up. Me, usually casually yelling at him that he is waaay too early.

I didn't bother hurrying up. I grabbed what I needed and walked down the staircase. I opened the door that revealed his gorgeous figure dressed in a tuxedo with a black bow tie. "Hi."

He looked down at his feet. "Hi." He said right after he looked up at me. "Can I ask... Why exactly?"

"I wanted to see you." He almost whispered. "You were going to see me at the party, Ross." I simply reminded him. "I wanted to make sure you were alright."

"You could've done that during the last month."

That was it. I had pressed the big red button. I was going to do it eventually, but I had picked my moment. This statement was going to set the tone of the soirée. For him. To remind him. I walked passed him a got in his car before him. We then silently drove to the trendy club where the party was hosted.

When we got inside together, people started staring. Everyone knew we weren't as close anymore or that we had fought or something in the genre. I sighted and walked away, trying to find Raini. When I did she dragged me on the dance floor. We danced the night away with almost everyone actually, laughing, talking, reminding ourselves of all the good times we had this year.

After a few hours, it was probably around eleven, I went to see the bartender to ask for a glass of water. A few seconds later, he tossed me a glass and a napkin. "This is for you." He simply said and turned away. I took the napkin and read the writing I clearly recognized.

Meet me on the roof.

I looked around me. I slowly walked away, trying not to be seen.

I walked up the narrow staircase following the 'roof' sign. I walked up slowly but carefully, because I was still wearing my heels. When I finally reached the top, I opened the heavy door to reveal the roof, dark but enlighten by all the city lights.

"You came." He said softly.

"Of course I did." I said scanning the view around me. "Were you scared I wasn't going to?" I then asked, looking at him.

He looked so handsome in his suit.

"Yeah..." I muttered. "I feel like I've disappointed you so much these past weeks that you had all the reasons in the world not to show up."

"You haven't disappointed me, Ross..." I sighted.

"What did I do then, Laur!?" He exclaimed. "Because honestly, I- I can't follow anymore." He continued as his voiced cracked. I just stood there, on my two feet, not moving an inch, my eyes locked with his. Tears were forming in his eyes. I was tearing him to pieces. The soft wind made my eyes water too.