Chapter 14

Lily's POV

We were silent as we walked the entire way, Tony having his arm around me the entire time. I was thankful for the silence; I felt so dismembered. We passed Vic's house and arrived at mine, Tony walking me all the way up to the door. He finally removed his arm from my shoulder and turned to look at him.

"Thank you so much Tony, for everything." I smiled. He smiled back at me.

"All in a day's work." He said, putting his hands on his hips and puffing out his chest.  We both laughed lightly and I couldn't stop thinking about how thankful I am to have Tony in my life. He's been such a blessing and I love him for that.

"Do you want to come in?" I asked, wanting to repay him for saving me back there.

"I actually have to get back home. If my mom comes home and I'm not there I'm done for." He said with a light laugh, and part of me felt bad for making him walk me home. I smiled at him.

"Then you better get home, I'll call you later." I said. With our goodbyes I was walking into my house and Tony was walking down the street again. As I walked into my home a familiar smell invaded my nose and I felt myself relax. It smells like Christmas and Thanksgiving. I followed the smell into my kitchen. My mother was at the stove with trays of cookies in front of her and I caught her in the act of putting another tray in the oven.

"Mom?" I said with a light laugh, putting my bag on the table. She looked up and had a bit of flour on her nose. "Hey honey!" she said excitedly, wiping her hands on her apron. "What's with all the cookies?" I asked. It was October and she usually doesn't start her cookie barrage until Thanksgiving. She finished wrapping a platter in plastic and tied a colorful bow on it.

"Well, I got bored." She said. When my mom is bored she makes the most of her time, when I'm bored I do nothing. I want to know where I got my genes from. I just pinched my lips together and tilted my head, giving my mom a look. She laughed and picked up the platter she just finished wrapping.

"Would you mind taking these over to the Fuentes'? I'd do it myself but I look like a slob." She said with a light laugh. My mom is a free-spirited teenager trapped in the body of a 42-year-old woman. Though, my heart fell when she asked me the question. I don't know if I could see Vic. Even if I did, what would I say!? What would I do? I'd be tongue-tied and embarrassed. But I nodded and she placed the platter in my hand. "Are you okay?" she asked. I must've looked scared. I smiled and tried to focus on making my mom happy.

"Oh, I'm good," I said smiling. She gave me a look but seemed to let it pass. 

"Well, just give these to Vivian and tell her that I wanted to thank her for being so welcoming." She said with a bright smile. I nodded, telling her I would be right back, and walked out the door.

Why. Why of all things for her to do did she have to bake? And why does she have to give a plate to Vic's family? My heart started to race as I walked up towards the front door of his house. What if he answers? Oh god! Part of me wanted to ditch the cookies in a bush and lie to my mom. But of course I couldn't so that. So I walked the last few steps to his front porch, hating every one. I might as well get this over with.

I rang the doorbell and heard someone yell inside. It didn't really sound much like English, but who knows. There were footsteps approaching and my heart raced. Please, don't be Vic. As the door opened I was met with the face of Mike, the one in our group of friends that I haven't really gotten very close with.

"Hey Lily. What's up?" he asked and looked from my face to the plate of various cookies in my hand. There's something about guys and sweets. 

"Hey Mike, is your mom here?" I asked, calming down since I might not have to face Vic after all. But this is only half of the battle.