Chapter 6

Lily's POV

That night I sat on my balcony and stared at the stars. It was one of the warmest nights of the fall, being around 65 degrees. I had my body pillow taking up most of the balcony so I wasn't sitting on the actual balcony. It was as thick as the pillow I sleep on but as big as the comforter on my bed. It was a great thing to have, since sometimes I even sleep out here when I can't sleep. Being put in a natural environment is just relaxing to me, though it doesn't make much sense. You'd think I'd feel safer in my bed, but sometimes I just feel confined. Out here I feel free.

I was glad this week was almost over, but I don't want the next one to start. Jake is going to end up going to school at some point. I'd have to see him. I have to face life. The stars seemed so bright tonight. I have spent so many nights looking at them. I've decided that the stars are my favorite things about nature. They prove that everything needs a little darkness to shine through.

My phone buzzed under my blanket and I picked it up. It was Skylar. She hadn't contacted me all day despite her promise. I read the text and my heart jumped to my throat. Is it okay if I give Vic your number? He wants it... .Vic? Wanting my number? Doesn't seem too plausible. Since that day after school we haven't really talked much. But I typed back a simple okay with shaking hands. Despite the warmth of the air chills ran down my spine.

Just remember... get it!!. She sent back to me. I rolled my eyes at her immatureness and put my phone down. It was late, and with everything I just wanted to sleep. I wanted to feel swaddled by my bed tonight so I was about to get up and go inside when my phone buzzed again. Even though it was probably Skylar again I still looked at it.

My heart again jumped. It was an unknown number. The message read a simple. Hey, it's Vic. But I still questioned answering it. Well, he was definitely just talking to Skylar, who probably told him I was talking to her. So he'd know that I'm awake and that I'd be ignoring him. So, to avoid utter oblivion, I texted him back saying hi. It wasn't much, but it was something. Even though the cool night air was so inviting I still went inside and into my bed.

With my long chord, I plugged my phone in to charge and hoped that Vic wouldn't answer. I had mixed emotions as five minutes ticked by with no reply. I mean I really wanted to get to sleep, though that was a long shot. After everything, my brain would not let me sleep. So maybe, just maybe it would be better for him to answer. I'll at least have someone to talk to. As seconds ticked by and the silence seemed to grow to a thousand shrieks I stared at the ceiling trying to think of anything but Jack or Savannah or what happened. I let my mind toy with the pros and cons of going to a different school.

I mean, there's Tony and Sky who I would miss desperately, but there's also Jake and all of them, being constant reminders of my complete failure at being happy. I'd probably end up going to a private school and their famous for having snotty rich kids in expensive uniforms with British accents. Maybe I should stop watching TV. They're probably not like that. It would probably be better going to a private school. My phone buzzed next to my head, bringing another idea into my head.

What about Vic? Granted being neighbors I probably wouldn't see him much. Would I have to move again? I looked outside to my balcony and then the treehouse and then just behind that the Cheshire smile of a moon. I could almost imagine it turning on its back and start to talk to me. What would it say, would it give me the words that I need to hear? Then I remembered my phone.

How are you feeling?

The question confused me on many different levels. A boy that wants to know about my feelings? Granted Tony asks me this on a daily but this is defiantly not a norm for me. From the time that I've actually interacted with this guy, I don't even think he's seen me happy. Probably thinks I'm just another depressed sap. I guess I was quite happy today with all of them, but judging from Tony and Skylar asking me if I was okay every 2 seconds, I probably looked nervous.