Until Death Do Us Part

The ship did not land gently. It slammed into the ground with a head splitting thud.

"Sorry," said Drift when the rattling stopped, "Ran out of fuel."

The ramp began to lower, letting in weak sunlight and a fresh breeze that chilled Ruby to her metallic coated bones. She saw the turrets and chimneys of the manor house, then Bumble Bee and Hot Rod, then Simmons and Cade, and then-

"Tom," she whispered.

Optimus carried Ruby down the ramp and stopped in front of Tom. He dropped to one knee and put Ruby into his arms. Tom squeezed her tightly, folding her into his chest and pulling a blanket around her. She reached up to touch his face. His eyes were rimmed red and frown lines had become etched into his face.

"I didn't think I'd see you again," she whispered.

"I'm here," he smiled, "Let's get you cleaned up, you're heavy. And you smell terrible,"

She smiled back, "Well you would not believe where I've been,"

Tom carried her inside, leaving everyone else in the driveway.

"Optimus, what happened?" said Cade.

Optimus tore his gaze from the door behind which Tom had taken Ruby, and stood back up to his full height; "We arrived at the horn to find Quintessa battling Megatron for Ruby. He was trying to kill her, whereas Quintessa was using her powers."

Cade kicked at the gravel, "Well at least they are not on the same side,"

"What concerns me is Unicron," said Optimus, eyeing his autobots, "Has anyone remembered anything about that name?"

They all mumbled and shook their heads. The fountain tinkled away merrily out of place.

"I fear Unicron is a bigger threat than Quintessa or the decepticons," said Optimus.

"Was Unicron there?" said Hound. He whipped out his weapons, "What's he look like? I'll waste 'em!"

"He was there," said Optimus, "But I did not see him. He possessed Megatron and I at the same time. We could not move. He spoke through us."

Cade put his hands on his head, "Great, another Creator God that can turn you into their puppets,"

"This was different, this energy, it was not like when Quintessa took me," Optimus began to pace between the garage and the house, the fountain water jumping with every thunderous step, "Then, I didn't know what I was doing or saying, I was a different being. This, I was fully aware. I could feel Unicron, commanding and powerful; it felt like a great, ancient creature stirring from sleep."

Bee whined.

"Then what happened?" said Crosshairs, a hand on his rifle as if Optimus would become Nemesis Prime again at any moment.

"Through us, as one, he said 'I am Unicron, and this planet is mine.' That was all. Drift lifted Ruby and I out of there before his hold broke, allowing us to escape Megatron and Quintessa."

"We need to figure out what this Unicron thing is, so we can beat it, " Cade pumped his fist.

"One thing at a time," said Drift, "Chase multiple rabbits, and you will not catch any. Megatron will come for us."

"I say let him come!" roared Hound, "We can take him!" 

"It is not him I am worried about," said Optimus, "Quintessa needs Ruby for activating those horns. She will come for her. And she is very powerful. We will need Ruby to fight with us."

"There's a tinsie bit of a problem with that plan," Simmons piped up.

Optimus' blue eyes swiveled to Simmons and the slim man shrank backwards under his gaze. Cade and the autobots braced themselves.