Chapter 5

▍japan, patterson home𝐎 𝐒 𝐇 𝐔 𝐍𝐢

𝐎 𝐒 𝐇 𝐔 𝐍
𝐢. 𝐦𝐢𝐝𝐨𝐫𝐢𝐲𝐚
05.    ✿ ↬

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

second person

𝑻𝑯𝑬𝑹𝑬 𝑾𝑨𝑺 𝑨 young african girl at the age of five sitting down on the swings of the playground. She stared at the sky, not saying a single word as she slowly rocked her swing a bit as she sat by herself, not paying much attention to anyone else.

You were never an extroverted person as a young girl because you was constantly silenced. Starting with the fact that while everyone was four, you were five.

Your first year was homeschool, but when you went to actual school the next year, they never put it in the system. So, unlike everyone else, you had to repeat kindergarten.

This lined up with your second reason you were so introverted, your lack of communication skills. Growing up at first, you spoke your first language, English, till the age of four.

When school started, you had to learn Japanese, it was the reason you were homeschooled. As you were still very young and learning a second language, you often struggled.

That gave racist kids something to bully you about, other than stereotypical things. You were still learning, as you were only five. But you styggled a lot, maintains a conversation was very hard.

Which is why you decided to go mute. You only spoke outside of your home when it was absolutely necessary, and that was rare times. So, for the first few months of school, it was hard to make friends. Mainly because you didn't want them.

There was so much bullying that you didn't believe you could even make friends. That's why you hated school, there wasn't anyone that looked like you. How could anyone understand you, or be nice to you when they only cared for your skin color?

And that's why you wished to live in the West African country, Mali, rather Japan. Whenever you'd vist Mali to stay in contact with your heritage, everyone looked like you. They understood you, you even had a boy best friend there, Rufaro Okoye. And for that reason, you wished you had lived there instead.

But you didn't.

As you were minding your own business on the swings, you felt eyes on you. So, you took a quick glance around and noticed a few asian girls laughing while pointing at you.

It was only for a couple of seconds. That's how long you looked at them before reverting your eyes back to where they were previously and minding your business. But a couple seconds was all it took to anger them.

The group of girls approached you. You tried your best to ignore as you maintained your gaze on the clouds in the sky. But that wouldn't drive them away, it only fed into their anger.