Jealous

"Y/N, this is Dr. Robbins, our head of pediatric surgery. She's the very best at what she does, so she'll be working with me to treat Sydney," Dr. Shepherd says.

The doctor she's introducing me to is blonde and undeniably beautiful. She gives me a bright smile and shakes my hand, which I politely return. "Thank you for your help, Dr. Robbins."

"No need to thank me. I just want your daughter to get better." There's a brief pause before she claps her hands together with a cheery smile. "So, can I meet the little troublemaker now?"

I laugh and say yes, and the three of us walk into the hospital room where Flo is laughing with Syd.

"Syd, there's another doctor who wants to talk to you," I tell her.

Dr. Robbins crouches beside the bed and strikes up a conversation with Syd about all of her favorite things. Syd smiles brightly and gushes on and on. Flo watches with a smile as Syd talks about the time she tried to play electric guitar. Dr. Robbins and I share a small smile across the hospital bed. Flo's face changes slightly into something more neutral, and my eyebrows furrow. Maybe she's just tired.

After a few minutes, the two doctors and I walk back out into the hall to discuss the surgery.

"So...when are we gonna do this?" I ask nervously.

"I'd like to perform the surgery as soon as possible," Dr. Shepherd begins, "But I need time to prepare. So my plan is to do the surgery in three days."

I blow a heavy breath past my lips and nod. "Then three days it is. Will you be operating as well, Dr. Robbins?"

"Since it is such a delicate procedure, I will be there in case of any complications. But Dr. Shepherd is the lead surgeon."

"Okay." I nod again and clench my jaw repeatedly to try and remain calm, because this is actually happening right now.

"I'll go get someone started on the paperwork you need to fill out," Dr. Shepherd says before walking away.

Dr. Robbins sees my tense body and places her hands on my shoulders. She looks into both of my eyes and smiles warmly. "Dr. Shepherd is the best there is. We're gonna take good care of your daughter, Y/N."

"Thank you, Dr. Robbins," I smile gratefully.

"Call me Arizona. I have a feeling we'll be spending a lot of time together from now on." She winks semi-jokingly and rubs my arm one last time before walking away.

I sigh and walk back into the hospital room. When Flo sees me, she looks down at her phone, avoiding eye contact. I want to ask her about it, but not in front of Syd, so I don't say anything.

~

After signing the last form, I sigh and hand the clipboard back to Arizona. Syd is once again asleep, and Florence is sitting in the chair answering some emails on her laptop. Probably freaking talking to People Magazine or some shit.

"I've gotta ask," I begin, "why are you sitting here with me? I mean, I highly doubt hotshot doctors usually sit down while their patient's mom fills out paperwork."

I lean back in my chair and she watches the movement with a small smile before shrugging. "I just wanted to be here for you. I know this can be a lot. Especially for a single mom. I admire your strength through this, Y/N."

"Thank you, Arizona. For everything." She nods and grabs the paperwork, waving one last time before leaving the room.

"So you two are on a first name basis now?" Florence asks coldly without looking at me. There's a bite to her tone that I don't recognize.