Intro III

The sun rises above the New York skyline, peering through the fog of an early morning and shining into the apartment we call home. I remain in my chair facing the front door, eyes heavy with exhaustion and stomach churning with anxiety. There's been nothing all night. Nothing since the texts. No new messages, nobody in the hall, nothing.

I stand from the chair and return it to its spot. I don't know how I would explain myself if one of them woke up and saw me sitting there. My eyes flit over the sleeping forms on the couch. I pause as I look at Florence. Syd is still curled into her side with Flo's arm wrapped protectively around her. Her mouth falls open in light snores and her short hair is messy, sticking up in a million directions.

This should be a perfect morning. But everything is fucked up. And I don't know how to fix it.

I head to the bathroom and turn on the shower. I strip off my clothes and step under the scalding water, letting the heat burn my skin as steam rises through the bathroom. The bathroom door opens and quiet footsteps cross the tile floor.

"Are you okay, darling? You're up awfully early."

"Yeah, I'm fine. I just woke up and couldn't fall back asleep." The lie burns more than the water.

Flo hesitates, probably questioning if she should believe me. "Okay. I'll cook up some breakfast, yeah?"

She begins to walk away, but I call out, "Hey, Flo?"

"Hm?" she hums.

"There's plenty of room in this shower for two, you know."

She says nothing, and I bite my lip as I wait for her to respond. I hear the telltale sound of clothes falling to the floor before the foggy glass door opens and arms wrap around me from behind. I sigh with content and lean my head back against her shoulder.

"Are you sure you're okay, love?" she mumbles against the side of my head.

"Everything's fine, Flo, 'kay?" I spin in her arms and look between her eyes, smiling softly. I lean in and press a kiss to her lips, tangling my hand in her hair. It quickly heats up as steam collects in the shower. I leave a trail of kisses down her chest and stomach as I drop to my knees in front of her body. I look up into her dilated eyes as I give her all of me. I relish in the way she leans against the shower wall for support, panting heavily. I love the way she breathes my name. I absolutely fucking love her, with every part of me.

~

"Maybe you should stay at your place for a few days," I suggest later that day as we stand in the kitchen.

"What? Why? I mean- uh, if that's what you want...of course I'll head back to my place," Florence stutters uncomfortably. Hurt cracks through her tone, and the sound makes me want to throw up.

"It's just, uh, I don't want Syd to think that you, um-"

"No, I get it, Y/N. It's Syd. You don't have to justify how you raise your child." I smile and nod, swallowing back the bitter taste of the lie. "I have a meeting with my manager at one, anyway. I'll just head home after."

"Okay." There's a pause in the conversation. It's tense, uncomfortable. I hate it. I hate this. "You know I want you around, right? I can't put it into words but, Florence, I..."

"I know, my love. I get it." She looks into my eyes with such conviction that I almost forget why I'm asking her to leave. She grabs my hand, and for a brief moment, everything feels like it just might be okay.

~

"Do you think you could maybe watch Syd for a few days? At your place?" I ask Ash. Florence left two hours ago, and Ash and I are sipping beers in the kitchen.

"Yeah, of course. Everything okay?" she asks with furrowed eyebrows. Of course I've needed Ash to babysit before, but I've never outright asked her to take Syd for a few days.

"Yeah, everything's fine. There's just some stuff I need to take care of," I answer vaguely.

"Ah, and this wouldn't have anything to do with a certain Brit, would it?" she asks cheekily.

"Shut up."

She laughs and nudges my side. "Don't worry, Y/N. I've got her. You have your fun."

"Thank you, Ash."

~

With everyone out of the apartment except me, the eeriness creeps in the corners, every shadow threatening to jump out and drag me into its depths. I have to focus on each of my breaths to keep them from running ragged.

What if he's watching?

Does he know about Florence and I?

What's his endgame?

I throw back a shot of vodka to stop the spiraling thoughts. I just need a plan. I need him gone. Once and for all, no matter the consequences.

So my plan? Fuck it. That bastard can try his damnedest, but I'm pissed, I'm scared, and I have a lot to protect. He might win, he might kill me, but there's no way in hell I'm going down without a fight. Either he dies, or I do. And I don't plan on leaving my kid alone anytime soon.

I pull out my phone to text the one person who knows how dangerous Ben is. I never told her everything, but she knows enough. She's the one person from my hometown who didn't shun me after I got pregnant. But even still, people drift apart.

Me: He's back.
JJ: Ben?
Me: Yeah. I got some texts from him. Pictures of my apartment. I sent Syd to stay somewhere else for now.
JJ: I'll get on the next flight. Stay inside and keep the doors locked.

I sigh and run my hands through my hair. I could wait in front of the door with a baseball bat just in case, but what's the point? This is a game to him, and he's just getting started. He's not bold enough to break in yet.

So I do as JJ says and double check to make sure everything's locked and the curtains are closed. Then I settle on the couch and watch Netflix, eventually drifting into a restless sleep.

Found you.