Chapter 21

"Wait here," Madam Pomfrey said, before disappearing behind the curtain.

"We're going to be parents."

"Very soon," he said softly, kissing her head.

They remained quiet until Madam Pomfrey returned. "We're sending you by floo powder. You'll arrive in the Healers station and they'll escort you to your room. Best of luck, Potters."

"Thanks for everything, Madam Pomfrey."

"I've healed you for seven years now. I think it's time to take on the next generation."

He chuckled as he helped Hermione up. "Are you ready?"

"No," she said, shaking her head.

"She's almost here. She'll be here by tomorrow night. Keep focusing on her and not the pain."

They walked over to the fireplace and disappeared in the flame. They arrived in the Healers station, which was strangely empty.

"Hello there," a woman said with a smile. "My name is Rebecca, and I'll be your Healer. You must be Hermione."

"Yes," she hissed out, grabbing for her stomach.

She stared at her watch for a moment before the contraction ended. "Let's get you to a room."

She walked in front of them to the room near the station. "There's a robe on the bed. Remove your clothing and I'll be back in a minute to start the exam."

She nodded, and waited until Rebecca left before undressing and climbing into the bed. Harry covered her with the blankets.

"This is it," he said softly.

"As scared as I am, I'm so ready for her to be here."

"Me, too. Madam Pomfrey said she would get ahold of Molly and Arthur, and they'll bring your parents here."

"Good," she said, rubbing her stomach. There was a knock on the door before Rebecca entered.

"Is this your first child?"

"Yes," she said.

She nodded before walking over to a machine. She attached the cord to Hermione's stomach and waited for the machine to turn.

"This is a heart monitor. It'll monitor the baby's heartbeat. Do you know the sex?"

"It's a girl."

"Congratulations," she said, putting a glove on. "Let's see where you're at."

"Hopefully close."

"Not quite," Rebecca said. "You're only four centimeters dilated."

"Are you kidding me?"

"This may go faster than you think. I'll be back in a little while."

Hermione threw her head against the pillow as the door closed behind Rebecca. Harry gently rubbed her hand.