Chapter 3

The morning sun lit up the bedroom causing Harry to stir, and the first thing he realized was that someone was sleeping on his chest. He grabbed for his glasses and looked down, and saw the patch of brown hair sprawled all over. He closed his eyes and let out a deep breath, wondering if their friendship would officially be ruined after this.

'And the bond wins,' he thought, pressing his arm against his eyes. 'I wonder how she'll feel about this.'

He tried not to move, as he wanted her to sleep for as long as she would. He kept his eyes closed as he tried to gain a few more minutes of sleep before he felt her move, and he braced himself for what would come next.

Hermione stirred and sat up, looking down at Harry in worry. He stared back up at her before he reached his hand up and pressed it against her cheek, and she closed her eyes at his touch.

"Hi," he said quietly.

"Good morning."

They stared at each other for a moment before they leaned in and captured each other lips. This kiss was very different from the one last night. It wasn't sexual, it wasn't rushed. It was two people kissing. Nothing more, nothing less.

But neither found they could break away from one another.

"You're not upset, are you?" he asked a short time later, as he stood up to put his boxers back on. She shook her head and looked away.

"What do we do now?" she asked, as she sat on the edge of the bed and clutched the sheet to her chest. Across from her Harry sat in the chair that he had pulled up to the bed.

"I don't know. There's no going back from this."

She threw her head back and closed her eyes, wondering what will happen next. Harry rubbed his hands on his knees.

He was feeling something. He was feeling fear. He knew he wasn't scared.

But she was.

He was feeling her.

Shock and amazement coursed through him. They had been told about this, the connection they would receive had they completed their marriage. He had no idea, however, that he would actually feel her.

Then again, he never thought he would get this far with Hermione. That thought never crossed either one of them.

"There's nothing to be scared of," he said softly, grabbing for her hands. She looked up in shock before she smiled sadly.

"We're officially bonded."

"We are."

"I'm just-I'm worried that things will change for good, Harry. You're my best friend and I can't lose you."

He squeezed her hands and smiled at her. "You will never lose me. I promise you that."

He put both of his hands on the side of her face and leaned in to kiss her again. She wrapped her arms around his neck and pulled him in closer to her, breaking it off before they went any further.

"I'm going to take a shower," he said, and stood up. He walked out of the room, and she closed her eyes and took a deep breath.