Chapter 7

Harry held Teddy in his arms as McGonagall's speech flowed in the air. Behind her sat the area of the grounds that was deemed the graveyard where everyone who died was now resting.

Including Remus and Tonks.

Beside him, Andromeda wiped her eyes, trying not to lose it. Hermione sat on his other side, her eyes watering and cheeks wet.

Teddy started crying, and he stood up and walked away from the crowd. He started to gently rock him in his arms, trying to soothe his upset godson.

"I am so sorry, Teddy," he whispered. "You deserve to get to know your parents, and now you never will. They loved you very much; I know they did."

He looked out towards the lake, still rocking Teddy in his arms as he did so. He smiled a moment later and looked back down at his godson, whose green eyes stared back up at him.

"I want to promise you something," he said quietly. "I want to promise you that I will be here whenever you need me. Hermione and I both will be. You may have lost your mum and dad but we are still here for you. We will protect you. We will raise you like they wanted us to. You will never be alone."

He stared down at Teddy, sadness coursing through his body at the thought of him being an orphan. It all disappeared, however, when he saw the little boy smile up at him, as though understanding what Harry was telling him.

Tonks' smile.

"Always," he said, as his mother's voice rang in his head.

"Harry?"

"He was fussy," he told Hermione, turning towards her.

"Are you ok?" she asked, placing her hand on his arm.

"I'm alright."

"He'll be ok," she said, rubbing the top of Teddy's head. "We'll remind him of Remus and Tonks."

"I wish they could be here with him."

"I know," she said, rubbing his back.

Teddy started crying again, and Hermione took him from Harry, bouncing him lightly in her arms. She stared humming, and Teddy quieted down once again.

"I think he's getting hungry," she said, and he nodded in agreement.

"Let's take care of him today and give Andromeda some time."

She nodded in agreement, pulling the baby closer to her chest. They turned back to the crowd and saw that everyone had left their seats and were moving among the various tombstones. They walked back to Andromeda, who was dabbing at her eyes once again. Harry looked down at noticed that they were standing at Remus and Tonks' graves.

"Let us take care of Teddy tonight," he said to her, placing a hand on her shoulder.

"I couldn't ask you to do that."

"We want to," Hermione said.

"He might be getting hungry," she said, handing Harry the diaper bag. "Thank you."

She dabbed her eyes again and walked away. Hermione took the bag from Harry.

"I think we need to head home."