Chapter 24

Tobirama watched her leave, wondering how he'd given his heart over so easily, turning back to Hata only when the door had shut behind her. If Sadao and Hata didn't accept the changes in Chikako they'd make her visit very uncomfortable. "I hope you aren't offended by the change in her behavior. She's spent a lot of time with my brothers wife."

"Surprised but not offended." He returned the smile. "She's gained a lot of confidence. Apparently the marriage is doing well."

Tobirama didn't miss the way his gaze drifted to the door that led to his private chambers, and presumably the woman who had disappeared into them.

"It is doing very well. I must admit I had my apprehensions at first but not anymore." Warmth flooded his chest as he thought of how much had changed in four months.

"Ah! The peace between our villages and clans will be strong then. Did you say you brought six men with you? We will choose six of my men to return with you. I would like to be sure Takao is one of them. He's the man I intend to succeed me when I can no longer lead my clan and the village."

They settled in and discussed men and training plans for the rest of the afternoon until Hata declared it was time for them to wash up for dinner.

XXX

Chikako closed the door to her fathers office and went directly to her mothers rooms. Her mothers confused response at her knock made her heart break. It was apparent she didn't get many visitors. 

"Who is it?"

"It's me mother. I'm here to visit." She slid the door open and ran in, kneeling in her old spot next to her mother. Chikako wrapped her arms around her mothers neck, breathing in her soft floral scent. Tears sprang to her eyes and she blinked them back refusing to let the moment be marred by sadness.

"Chikako! Why are you here? Is your marriage okay?"

"Mother," Chikako leaned back, feeling the glow emanating from her, "it's amazing. Father summoned Tobirama to visit and I decided to travel with him."

"You've changed," her mother frowned as she looked her up and down, "in a good way."

Chikako's chest swelled. "I've learned a lot since leaving Iwa, too much to tell you all at once. But I want to know, how have you been?"

Her mothers gaze became sad. "It's been lonely without you."

"I imagine." Her mother didn't have many friends on the compound and she rarely left it. "And father has been more open about Naomi in my absence, hasn't he?"

Her mother looked up in surprise. "How did you know?"

"Mother, I knew long ago that he had a mistress. And she was in his office with him when I arrived." Chikako searched her mothers face. "Does it bother you?"

She sighed, "No. I wasn't able to be a good wife, and he'd been in love with her long before our marriage was arranged. He tried to be faithful to me but it wasn't in the cards."

"What happened? If I may ask?"

"Our father's arranged our marriage to cement the bond between our clans." She looked at Chikako and sighed. "He hurt me terribly on our wedding night, and I was terrified to let him back in my bed. I guess at some point he turned his affections back to Naomi and I just let it happen."

"I'm so sorry!" Chikako's heart broke for her mother.

"It wasn't like that for you then?"

"No." Chikako felt her face heat at the memory of making love with Tobirama. "Tobirama is a gentle lover, I enjoy our time together."