Chapter 23

Chikako stretched in the bedroll, rolling away from Tobirama to get up until his arm tightened around her and he pulled her close.

"Oh no you don't. You won't be leaving my sight until I have Takao to keep an eye on you." He nipped at her ear teasingly and she chuckled and rubbed back against him, loving his groan as she did.

"We need to get going." She said but stayed tucked against him and rubbed her cheek on his arm.

"You are a witch, you know that?" He whispered in her ear.

"I know." She sprang up when he released her and started packing. "How long until we arrive?"

"We should be in Iwa for dinner. Are you nervous?"

She chewed at her lip and shrugged. She was nervous, but she wasn't sure why, and she wasn't willing to put words to it yet. She'd only left Iwa a little over four months ago, in that time she'd changed tremendously. She was excited to show off what she'd learned, and she was terrified her father would hate her for learning it. It didn't matter how many times she reminded herself that her father couldn't stop her from learning, and that his opinion didn't matter, she kept coming back to the same fear.

It was late afternoon when they reached the Iwagakure gates. Tobirama identified himself to the guard, who recognized him, Chikako and Kin and they walked on through. When they came to the compound entrance Sadao was already waiting for them.

"Hello Sadao." Chikako waved, the excitement of seeing a familiar face overriding her nervousness.

"Chikako! What a surprise! Senju-sama, hello." He stared at her a moment longer than was comfortable and then paused when he saw the cuffed men behind her. He turned his attention to Tobirama, silent as he waited.

Chiyako frowned at him. She'd known what she would be facing here, but that didn't lighten the sting of being ignored. Tobirama's hand rested on her lower back, his encouragement for her to answer the unspoken question with the slightest pressure.

"Sadao," she waited until he'd looked back at her, ignoring his icy gaze, "these men attacked me yesterday. They claim to be from Iwa, so we brought them back to be disciplined."

Sadao stood frozen, mouth gaping open at her. His discomfort spread to her and she shifted closer to Tobirama as he waited silently. Finally Sadao acknowledged Chikako with a frown.

"They attacked you?" His eyes traveled down her body and then back to her face. He glanced at Tobirama. "You don't look hurt."

"She was able to defend herself until my men and I reached her." Tobirama's voice filled with pride. "Chikako has learned to fight quickly."

"A woman's place—" Sadao stopped when Tobirama cleared his throat.

"Is where she wants it to be."

Chikako's heart swelled at Tobirama's words. She fought the urge to throw herself into his arms and kiss him. Instead she related the entire story to Sadao while the men scuffed their feet on the road. When she'd finished Sadao looked ill.

"I- well- I'll have them escorted to the jail until punishment is decided." Sadao shifted an uneasy glance to Chikako and then focused on Tobirama again. "The guest house is prepared for you and your men, I assume Chikako will stay in her old rooms? Did you want me to take you to Hata-sama first?"

Chikako answered him again, irritated at both how he spoke over her and that he'd intended to separate them. "Oh no. We can find it. Tobirama will be staying with me if you need him."

Sadao's mouth fell open again but he remained silent as Chikako led her group deeper into the Hata Compound.

"You're terrible Chika. You need to remember where you are. No one expects you to be like this." Tobirama shook his head at her as he whispered in her ear, but his tone was light and teasing.

Chikako fumed as they made their way to the Hata buildings. Sadao had always ignored her, but today he'd been openly rude. She could bring it to her father, but he was likely to laugh it off and soothe her with platitudes. Besides, she didn't need or want to turn to him for an issue she could solve on her own.

They stopped outside the rooms that her father used and Tobirama turned to Kin. "You know where the guest house is. I'll meet you there after dinner." The men moved on and Tobirama and Chikako turned to go into her fathers rooms. She knocked lightly and her father responded immediately.

"Come in." He was back to the door when it opened, there was a woman with dark hair sitting closely to him. "Are they here yet, Sadao. Perhaps they won't..." He turned, his face reddening when he saw them. "Oh, hello, Chikako, Senju-sama. How are you?" He spoke to the woman seated next to him. "Naomi, may we have a little time alone?"

She nodded and rose to leave, using the door that led to his private chambers.

Chikako frowned, she'd often seen them together, but never so blatantly. Today she noticed things about the way they looked at each other that she'd never noticed before. "Hello father. I hope you don't mind that I came to visit?"

"Of course not. It is just a visit then?" His forehead creased with concern.

"Did you think I'd return? I'm quite happy in Konoha."

"Hello, Hata." Tobirama tipped his head and sat down on the cushion Hata indicated, pulling Chikako down beside him.

Her father observed them thoughtfully for a moment and then clapped his hands. "Welcome! It seems you are both doing well, yes? Did you want some tea, or maybe refreshments?"

"That would be nice father." Chikako grinned when Tobirama nudged her to answer the question. "We returned with three men who attempted to attack me yesterday. They claimed to be from Iwa. I believe their intention was to rape me, I'd appreciate it if they were punished heavily."

His eyes snapped to hers just as a woman entered with the tea tray. His frown deepened but he said nothing of the surprise that showed in his eyes. "I'll see to it then."

"I want them to know they can't do what they want without recourse." She smiled at her father, perversely pleased at his shock.

"I will be sure to see to it personally." He looked from the tea tray to her with discomfort.

Chikako had hold back her chuckle when Tobirama leaned forward and served the tea. "I've come to visit as you requested. Chikako asked to join us in order to visit you and her mother. Kin also returned with me and five other men who intend to stay here for the next six months. Chikako and I will leave for Konoha sometime next week."

"Very good." Her father glanced between Chikako and Tobirama, appearing to come to a decision. He met her gaze with more respect than she'd ever seen from him. "Should I have your old rooms prepared for you?"

"That would be very nice father. Tobirama will be staying in there with me as well." She shook her head at the tea Tobirama offered her, biting her lip hard to stop from grinning as she rose to leave. "If you don't need me for anything I think I'll go visit with mother."

"Of course Chikako." Her father smiled.

Tobirama pulled at her hand, tugging her down to him again and cupped her face. "I'll see you at dinner then?"

She grinned at him, knowing he was purposely trying to vex her father and leaned in to kiss him gently, nodding at his question when she pulled away.