Chapter 19

Chikako secured the ties on Tobirama's pack and carried it downstairs. Only Mito was in the kitchen, cleaning up from breakfast.

"Don't be worried. Tobirama is the second most capable ninja I know." She glanced over her shoulder and smiled at Chikako.

Chikako chuckled at her insinuation. "I think he's the most capable ninja I know."

"Well met, Chika."

"But thank you. I'll be fine." Chikako inhaled deeply to calm herself. "This will give me time to familiarize myself with the village."

Mito, finished with the dishes, led her outside to sit on the edge of the porch that surrounded their house. "And train, so you can surprise him."

Excitement thrummed in Chikako's belly at the thought of training. She'd miss Tobirama terribly, but really, a week ago he hadn't been a part of her life at all. So it shouldn't bother her at all to face him leaving. She rubbed at the hollow feeling in her chest and shrugged it off. She'd amused herself since she'd come of age, surely she didn't need Tobirama at her side every moment now.

"I had an idea, I wanted to run it past Tobirama but he doesn't need the distraction. And I think he'll be fine with it either way." Mito chewed her lip and wrinkled her brow. "He and Hashirama have an aunt, Akira, who lives with her son. And since he married she hasn't been happy."

Chikako tipped her head, wondering why Mito was bringing this up.

"I think she'd love you, and, if you get along with her, she'd be more than glad to move in with you and Tobirama and help you learn how to run your home."

Embarrassment flooded Chikako, heating her face and making her stomach twist. Mito had been nothing but kind and helpful, she wasn't criticizing her, just trying to help. "Will she be horrified by my stupidity?"

Mito smacked her arm lightly. "You're not stupid. You weren't taught. And no. She's one of the sweetest women I know. I'm sure she'll be glad to be away from her daughter-in-law."

Chikako nodded, swallowing her apprehension. With Tobirama leaving she needed to find her own way in Konaha, so different from Iwa. Mito was a good ally, hopefully Akira would be as well.

"We'll go around the village today. I'll introduce you to people while I show you where things are." She eyed Chikako's clothes, obviously in need of a wash. "And we'll get you some clothes while we're at it."

Chikako laughed at the look Mito was giving her. "I know my clothes are filthy, but it's worth it. I just wish I could have seen my father's face when the palanquin returned without me."

Several hours later, in borrowed clothes from Mito, Chikako was trailing behind the fiery redhead. Her head was spinning as she absorbed the endless stream of information being blasted at her.

They'd spent two hours at the training fields while Mito had taught her to not only sense her chakra, but to channel it. She'd also run her through some taijutsu moves that Mito had said would support any ninjutsu Chikako was able to master.

Now, washed and in clean clothes, Mito was hell bent on introducing her to everyone in the village.

Nara's, Uzamaki's, Senju's, this village had so many clans in it, she would never keep them straight. Chikako paused, pulling on Mito's sleeve to ask her to repeat the name she'd just said when her attention was drawn by the garden beside the house they had stopped in front of.

"Those flowers!" She gasped. "They're beautiful."

"That's the Yamanaka's, best gardeners in the village." Mito admired the spread of color with her and then tugged her arm toward the door. "Come on, Kenta invited us to use the bathhouse, let's introduce you."