Chapter 10

Pain shot up her legs from heels that burned as if she was walking on hot coals.

Chikako hadn't known walking could hurt so much. Her body ached from head to toe, but the fire that lit the bottoms of her feet and licked up her calves was worse than she'd ever thought possible. It was enough to almost make her regret sending the palanquin back.

When she sent it back she'd had no idea what she was volunteering for. If she had she might have chickened out. She'd never walk anywhere again for as long as she lived.

"How are you holding up?" Tobirama fell into step beside her after walking with Isamu who was heading up their group this afternoon.

She pasted the best smile she could muster on her face and looked up at him. Her body screamed for her to stop walking, but that wasn't an option and she wasn't going to complain about something that couldn't be changed. "I'm fine. How close to Konoha are we?"

She prayed to every god she could think of that they were nearly at the end of their journey, her heart falling at his reply.

"We should be there tomorrow." His eyes twinkled at her as he nodded at the road ahead of them. "We will be sleeping in a real bed tonight. Today's stop is just down the road."

She wrinkled her brow at him. "Really?"

"You'll see. Would you like me to carry you the rest of the way?"

She followed his gaze down the road where buildings dotted the horizon, smoke rising lazily from the chimneys of a few of them. It was only mid-morning and she couldn't imagine they'd be stopping when they might reach his town before sunset. "But this isn't Konoha?"

"No, this is your treat."

He wouldn't give her any more information until they were standing in front of an Inn proudly advertising its accommodations and a hot spring.

Before he explained it to her he turned to the men traveling with them.

"Chikako and I will be spending the day here. We will leave for Konoha tomorrow morning just after breakfast. Your rooms will be paid for so enjoy the rest."

The men thanked him and moved off to explore the town or find a chair and food. When they'd dispersed he led her into the office of the Inn.

At the ring of the bell on the door, an older woman appeared from the back. She smiled broadly at Tobirama after giving them a once over. "Welcome, Senju-sama. How may I help you?"

"My wife and I are traveling home to Konoha. We're here so she could clean up and relax before arriving in her new home. She and I, and my men, will need accommodations for the night."

Tobirama's voice didn't hold a hint of regret or frustration at the arranged marriage they'd had thrust on them. Chikako wondered at the ease with which he'd accepted it. She'd seen the looks, and heard the whispers of his men over the last three days. It was apparent that until her father had insisted on the marriage, Tobirama had been a confirmed bachelor.

"Certainly." Her surprise was quickly hidden behind the guise of business. She pulled a register out, directing him to fill in names and then added the room numbers she assigned them. "Here are keys to your room, when your men arrive I'll be sure they get their keys as well."

"Thank you."

Chikako watched as they filled out the register and Tobirama paid for the rooms. Had he been here before? Had he brought other women here? The sharp stab of jealousy surprised her. He was eight years older than her and clearly no virgin. It shouldn't bother her to think he'd shared this place with others before her. Regardless, it unsettled her.

"Senju-sama?" The old woman's address made him turn back to her. "The hot spring will be open until sunset, room service is available until ten." She smiled at Chikako, assessing her through a confused smile and then bowed to them. "Congratulations, may you have many beautiful and healthy children.

Chikako bowed her head, as much in thanks for the blessing as to hide the fiery heat in her cheeks. When Tobirama slipped his hand around hers she followed him, still embarrassed by the woman's blessing and assumption of what they'd be doing here tonight.

As he unlocked the door to the room she fought the nervous energy gathering in her chest. There was no one here to listen in, no one to interrupt them. What did he expect from her?

"Chikako?" His deep voice drew her out of her increasingly jittery thoughts.

He was waiting in the room, holding a hand out to her. She shook off her nerves and followed him in. She'd gone this far, she might as well tackle the next mountain her father had thrust in front of her.

"You look nervous again." He tossed his pack on the floor and unbuckled his armor. "I thought you might enjoy a stop, a chance to clean up from traveling, and the relaxation of a hot spring. Was I wrong?"

Chikako stared at the only bed in the room, chastising herself for being afraid. She'd slept beside him, in his arms every night since they'd left Iwa and he'd not once forced himself on her. Why would tonight be any different?

She swallowed heavily and smiled at him. "Th-thank you. I'll enjoy it a lot."

He wrinkled his brow at her, but said nothing about her stuttered answer. "It's a coed hot spring. Don't tell your father."

His light-hearted joke relieved some of the tension in her chest. "I've never been."

"I know."

"How does it work?" Visions of naked men and women swam before her. She had never seen a grown man without his clothes. Fresh jitters worked their way down her spine, making her knees knock.

He chuckled and wrapped an arm around her shoulders. "No worries. You'll change in a locker room and wear a towel into the spring. I'll be right there with you."

She exhaled heavily, still nervous but determined not to shame her new husband.