Chapter 5

Takao was at her side before Chikako had the door shut.

"Did you enjoy your dinner, Chika?" He held his arm out for her.

Chikako sighed and leaned back on the door, looking out over the compound she had called home all her life. Soon she'd leave it, possibly forever, to live with Tobirama in his village. What would that be like?

"Chikako?"

She smiled weakly at Takao. "I'm sorry. Dinner was good, I suppose. Did you... do you know why Father included me?"

Takao took her hand, twining it into his arm and pulled her towards the road. "I wasn't allowed to tell you."

Tears welled in her eyes dripping down her cheeks. "How am I supposed to marry a man I don't even know?"

Of course she'd known her marriage would be arranged to strengthen the clan and the village. Besides assuming her father would choose someone closer to her in age, she'd also believed they'd be introduced and given a chance to get to know each other before the arrangement was discussed.

What if the Senju was horrible? The thought formed and suddenly she couldn't get it out of her mind.

They'd spoken at the waterfall and he'd seemed nice enough but they'd merely exchanged greetings. Tonight she'd seen anger in his eyes and posture. Did he hate the idea of being saddled with such a young woman? Did he hate her?

Takao inhaled deeply. "Arranged marriages are nothing new Chikako. Your own parents had an arranged marriage." He groaned and cut himself off.

"I can't believe you'd use that as his defense! Look at how that's turned out for my mother!"

"Chika-chan, they are the exception. Most arranged marriages turn out well. You'll get to know him and, perhaps, love him."

"I don't know how you can say that!" Chikako stomped her feet and turned to face Takao. He'd been her bodyguard since she'd turned fourteen, and for years before that they'd been friends. Only two years older than her she'd looked up to him as one would an older brother. "Don't I have the right to refuse it?"

"You know that isn't how it works." He tugged to begin walking again. "Your father has planned this for years. It shouldn't surprise you."

"So you're on his side then?" She held in the sobs that threatened to drown her. "It's just... he's so distant. And he didn't look happy, I'm not sure he even likes me."

"Trust me, if Senju didn't want this he'd refuse. He's not easily pushed around, even by your father. And he's a good man. We trained with him and his men today. Their respect for him was apparent and deep. And he's kind. You'll be safe with him, and, I think, happy in time."

They had reached her door and as Takao slid it open he smiled down at her. "Sleep well Chikako."

Chikako forced a smile for the man who had walked beside her for so long she couldn't remember a world without him. "You too Takao. Tell Ai and the boys I say hello."

In her room she changed into her nightclothes and settled down to think.

Her father had negotiated this alliance for the good of the village, did her comfort matter at all to him? Judging by the way he'd abandoned her mother to her own rooms, rarely visiting with her or asking how she was, Chikako thought her own comfort and safety was of little importance to him.

She comforted herself in the knowledge that Takao felt she would be safe and even happy with Tobirama.

Tobirama looked old with his white hair and severe face, but now that she considered it, his movements were spry and light, and, though he seemed burdened with the responsibility of his clan business, he didn't seem tired of it, like her father did at times.