She'd hoped for more this morning, but she also understood the role of responsibility.

She threw back the covers with determination, shivering at the sudden cool air caressing her skin and grimaced as she reached for her clothes. With only two outfits, one of them grimy from traveling, she'd have to figure out how to add to her wardrobe, and wash what she had today.

Even those complications didn't leave her with regrets. Her father had thrust this marriage upon her, but it was turning out to be one of the best things that could have happened. Other than missing her mother she was the happiest she had been in a long time.

Her heart squeezed painfully at the desire to share how things had turned out with her mother and Momo. Perhaps she could send a letter to them with the request they would send to Dai. She was sure both of them would want to know she was not only safe, but very happy as well.

She neatened the bed and made her way downstairs where she found Mito bustling around the kitchen. When she noticed Chikako standing shyly at the door she ushered her in, setting a place at the table for her.

"Did you sleep well?" Mito's eyes twinkled with curiosity.

"Until Hashirama woke us." Chikako grinned ruefully. "It's part of being a village leader's wife, but when the call comes before the sun rises that's a hard thing to remember."

Mito sighed and settled down at the table, pouring herself some tea. "It's frustrating, I'd like to be out there with them, but Hashirama won't let me go on missions since..." Mito's eyes shuttered as she trailed off. "Enough about me, I've hardly had time to get to know you."

"I'm afraid there isn't much to know. I'm the spoiled daughter of a village leader. Until I left Iwa with Tobirama I had never been outside my village, and in the last ten years I'd hardly been off my compound." Chikako shrugged, self-conscious about her past and how she'd been raised. What Mito had said made her even more self-conscious. "Are you a ninja?"

"Of course I am." Mito's lips thinned and her eyes drifted shut as she inhaled deeply. "As an Uzimaki I have great chakra stores, and I'm fairly good at sensing chakra around me. I'm also a Jinchuriki, which is why I'm no longer allowed to go on missions." She harrumphed. "Had I known it would suspend missions the way it has I might not have taken it on."

"Chakra? Jinchuriki?" Chikako's head swirled with words she'd never heard or understood. Once again she was over her head in a village she most definitely didn't fit in. This time she didn't panic, Tobirama would make sure things were okay, but in the meantime she was done being a naive little girl. "I don't understand."

"You aren't a kunioichi?" Mito frowned at her, wrinkling her brow. "Your chakra is low and disorganized. Why haven't you been trained?"

"Kuno—" Chicago faltered on the new word.

"Kunoichi, a female ninja. Konoha is lucky to have a strong kunoichi force, not only to protect the village but to aid our offense as well, should the need arise."

"No..." Chikako took a deep breath, this would probably come as no surprise to Mito, or even Tobirama, "I haven't been trained to fight. I haven't even been trained to take care of myself."

Mito watched her for a long moment. "Is that what you want? Or is it what your father wanted?"

Chikako's shoulders hung. All these changes, and gaps in her upbringing were defeating. She sighed heavily, something that seemed to be a habit lately. "Until a few days ago, those were the same thing."

Mito growled and fisted her hands on the table. "And now?"

This was her chance to change her fate. To show Tobirama she wasn't the useless tool her father had handed over to him for peace. "Now, I want to learn everything I can. I want to have a purpose besides peace."

"That's my girl!" Mito glanced toward the noises at the front of the house and leaned over to whisper to her. "Let's surprise Tobirama with it though, huh?"

Chikako grinned and nodded her head. She'd made her first ally here in Konoha, all on her own.

"What are you two grinning about?" Hashirama settled next to Mito while Tobirama sat down beside Chikako.

"What did you find? Outside the gates?" Mito poured tea for both men and pushed the plate of sweet rolls toward them.

Hashirama frowned at her, but didn't call her on changing the subject.

"Village kids, a little training under their belts, they though it would be fun to scare the guard."

Beside her Tobirama was stiff, his voice gruff when he spoke. "This is exactly why we need a school. To train the younger ninja responsibly."

Chikako brightened, one thing she could do well was organize other people. "I'd love to help! Please, Tobirama, I need to feel useful."

He set his arm around her shoulder and pulled her close to him. "You take care of me, that's very useful, but of course you can help with whatever you want. What jutsu do you know?"

Chikako winced. "None, but I'm very good at organization, and I can teach younger children to read and write."

Relief swept through her when he simply nodded, accepting her offer without question.