Chapter 13: The Unanticipated Battle

General Howard slowly regained consciousness. He opened his eyes and saw a familiar face.  It was Colonel Mike. He realized that he was in a clinic.

"Sir? Are you alright? Do you feel pain or anything?" Colonel Mike said.

"What happened?" General Howard asked. "The last thing I remember—the explosion—what happened to our soldiers?"

"Only forty-eight of our soldiers survived. The Japanese troops—only twenty-five," Colonel Mike said. "We saved all of you from the ocean."

"Huh? Where are we?"

"Another hour before we arrive at the Port of Virginia," Colonel Mike answered.

"Wait, so we're on a ship?"

"Yes, I figured out you might need a hand."

"How about the aliens?" General Howard asked.

"They left, I guess," Colonel Mike said. "They thought you were all dead, but they were wrong."

"Thanks for rescuing us."

"No problem. It's our job to protect our people, and that includes you all."

***

The ship docked on the harbor and General Howard was relieved to be safe on land again. The remaining soldiers were sent home, and Colonel Kobayashi said goodbye to the general.

"I'm sorry for your loss," General Howard apologized.

"It's okay, it's not your fault. We learnt a lot from this defeat, so it isn't exactly a loss."

Suddenly, four hundred thousand soldiers arrived by sea and air. General Howard glanced at the faces and assumed they must be Europeans.

"You're General Howard, right?" a man with deep British accent said. "I'm Captain Harry, from the British Navy."

"And I'm Commander Albert," a German said.

"I'm Colonel Louis," a man with thick French accent said.

"Nice to meet you, I'm Lieutenant Fabrizio," an Italian said.

"We've come to join forces after seeing that the aliens are real," Captain Harry said. "Me and Lieutenant Fabrizio are in charge with the Navy."

"And we're from the Air Force," Commander Albert said.

"I can't thank you enough for your help—" General Howard said, but was cut off by a loud boom.

"What was that?" Colonel Louis shouted.

"They are not done yet," General Howard said, as thousands of microspaceships covered the sky, dropping bombs at the port.

The Port of Virginia was in flames. Commander Albert led his arsenal of planes and helicopters to attack the spaceships.

Colonel Louis's planes had two missiles each, and he told the pilots to strike the spaceships, but the missiles were sent back to them.

Lieutenant Fabrizio was on a battleship. His soldiers fired bullets at the spaceships, but the alien vehicles were impenetrable. They wasted thousands of ammunition.

Captain Harry brought some of the best hackers from his country, but they were unable to take control over the spaceships. Because of his passive behavior on the aliens, they sunk dozens of his ships.

"No!" General Howard told Captain Harry. "You have to tell your soldiers to retreat. All of you! There's no point in fighting this battle! We don't have any preparations at all! You have evacuate your army!"

Captain Harry nodded, then he gave order to his soldiers to retreat to the Atlantic Ocean.

And with that, the aliens won another battle, shaving off a quarter of the European army in the process.