𝖎. Once upon a broken heart

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐎𝐍𝐄:Once upon a broken heart(1354)

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐎𝐍𝐄:
Once upon a broken heart
(1354)

━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦━━━━

TO BE SEEN.

It was one of the things Genesis wished she had achieved. She's seated in her and her mother's room, specifically the maid's quarter in the castle of Northern France.

She was only a babe when the soldiers of the King of England relocated them to be enslaved people for the royalty of France. Well, Genesis and her mother are lucky enough to be picked to serve the high-ranking officials of Northern France.

Luck.

They were the lucky ones.

The others they boarded the ship with, not so much.

Her mother, Helen, was reading the grimoires they managed to sneak in. Yes, grimoires, Genesis, and Helen are witches. Her mother was trying to find a spell that could cure the sick that wouldn't gain the people's attention.

Witches were hunted all over the country.

The Duke's son is sick and is currently in need of a remedy.

The Duke's son, whom Genesis is infatuated with.

She was more than happy to help her mother look for a cure. Alexander is a handsome and charming soon-to-be Duke of Abbeville. And all she wanted was for him to notice her. To be seen by him.

Genesis did not know if it was love or infatuation, but whatever it was, she wanted it.

But she was just a maid. And Alexander will never notice her. A spell will do the trick, but she doesn't want to deceive him. She wants it to be as natural as it possibly could be.

"I found it, mother," Genesis tells Helen with delight as she arranges the ingredients, already preparing herself to see Alexander.

"Is that eagerness in your voice?" Helen hums with a disappointed shake of her head. She closes the grimoire and places it on the wooden stool. She walks towards Genesis with a frown.

"A man like him, Genesis, he will be your downfall."

"I can catch myself," Genesis replies as she mixes the pot. She is making soup now. She pours the cure into the soup, the aroma of the chicken broth overpowering the scent of the potion.

"You are far better without him, child," Helen tells Genesis with a frown, observing her daughter's expression filled with joy and excitement. Helen is saddened by the thought of her daughter getting her heart broken. The Duke's son is looking for a woman to marry then he can take his father's place, and she knows that woman will never be Genesis.

"Soup is ready!" Genesis exclaims as she pours the contents into a bowl and exits their quarters. She was on her way to Alexander's bedroom when she was stopped mid-way when she heard a woman's laughter coming from his room.

Genesis peaked at the half-opened door and saw a woman seated on Alexander's bed, feeding him. She sees Alexander smiling wholeheartedly, reciprocating every action.

She felt foolish, god why must she be so attracted to Alexander to the point that she is making a fool of herself in the process of wanting to be with him?

She turns around and leaves the soup on the table beside his bedroom door. Genesis sighed. She was being desperate for his attention. His attention she doesn't know how to gain.

Genesis leaned against the stone walls, and she was frustrated with herself.

"Hello there." A voice suddenly echoed through the corridors. Genesis looks ahead and sees a woman standing in the middle. She was beautiful with her black locks and crimson red silk dress. Embedded with patterns of gold and silver, her milky white skin contrasted with the colors of her red dress.

"Why are you so full of sadness, dear?" The woman questioned, it seemed genuine with a hint of curiosity. Genesis had never seen this woman before, never come across her before. She strides toward Genesis, full of confidence.

"It's nothing to worry about, madam." Genesis replies with a gentle curtsy. She wipes the tears from her cheek and smiles at her. Genesis doesn't know who this person is, and the woman might be visiting from another court with a high rank.

"We'll have none of that. Never waste your tears for a mere man." She tells her as she tucks the stray strand of hair behind Genesis' ear. She then looked at her up and down and observed her.

"Is there anything you need that I can assist you with?" Genesis asks politely as the woman's eyes observe Genesis' face. Genesis felt naked in her intimidating gaze, and it felt like she was intruding on her boundaries.

"You are a nice girl. But I do have an offer for you, and I think you should accept."

━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦━━━━