FORTY FOUR

◜       ◝

◜                                                           ◝

𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗙𝗢𝗥𝗧𝗬 𝗙𝗢𝗨𝗥
𝒂𝒏𝒈𝒆𝒍 𝒐𝒂𝒌

◟       ◞

・・・・☆・・・・☆ ・・・・

John B drove the Twinkie to the Angel Oak. On the way, they passed Freedman's Church, the church that Denmark built for all the slaves that he freed.

"There it is, Angel Oak," Kiara pointed out once they were getting closer to it.

"Oh, shit! Tide's coming in," John B said in frustration before they reached a part of the path that was all muddy.

"Hey, wait a second. Look. Hey, they already came through here," he realized once he saw the tire marks through the mud.

"Damn it," Kyla muttered, shaking her head.

"Those have to be Limbrey's tire tracks. Guys, we gotta go," Pope said quickly.

"Mmm, what did you think, chief?" JJ asked John B.

"I'm think it's looking a little dicey," he replied, contemplating whether or not they should drive through it.

"Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree with that statement," JJ said.

"Yeah."

"Okay, clearly, they made it," Kiara pointed out from the backseat. "No?"

"It's looking that way to me," Kyla said with a nod.

"In a two-wheel drive? I don't know about that," JJ argued with narrowed eyes.

"Why are y'all acting like you're not gonna do it anyways?" Sarah questioned with a grin. "Like when have y'all ever done the safe thing?"

JJ and John B shared a look before the latter said, "She's got a point."

"Speed is your friend here, okay? So, put her down in a second and hammer down, brother," JJ explained.

Kyla sat back, trying to find something to hold on to just in case they went flying off the path. "Stick to the ground in the middle," Pope told him.

"All right, ready? Here we go," John B said before he pressed down on the gas medal, making the van fly through the mud.

"Come on, bro! Punch it! Speed is your friend, speed is your friend!" JJ yelled as John B continued to go through the mud. "You're not going fast enough!"

"I'm in second!" John B responded.

"It's gonna slide!" Kiara shouted and Kyla held her breath, gripping the cushions of the car seat.