Part 13

The wedding day soon rolled by and Neil has been ignoring me since my birthday. Whenever we all are out shopping or eating, he sits away from me and never even greets me.

Reese left a week after my birthday, why she left is still a mystery. According to Nick she never visited their place after that night.

The wedding was a blast, I was Nick's groom maid whereas Neil was Cole's best man. The misunderstanding between Cole and Neil was over and they were back as best buddies since my birthday.

After wedding Cole and Nick left for their honeymoon. Everyone was tried so they called it a night except me. All I could think of was Neil.

I texted Neil "Happy Birthday! Sorry couldn't wish you earlier."

He immediately replied back "Is it your habit to wish people late every year?"

C: I was in a dilemma whether to wish you or not. Remember you were ignoring me.

N: Weren't you too busy with your boyfriend since your birthday?

C: I did have time for everyone whether I had a boyfriend or not. You were hell bend on not talking to me.

N: Who ran away on their birthday after accepting my gift? Who was ignoring?

C: Last year who called our friendship a mistake?

N: Wasn't it a mistake to kiss your brother's best friend?

C: I didn't think about it that time and I am not thinking about it now. It was a heat of moment, maybe I was attracted towards you but that was all. You were mean to me after stealing my first kiss.

N: I never stole the kiss; it was equally from both sides.

C: You made me regret it.

N: We were drunk and I was broken.

C: Really broken? You said that break up felt like nothing. Yet you are back with her. Is it again nothing but sex? What happened to giving some time?

N: That is none of your business. I regret even telling you all that.

C: Whatever! If it is like that stop complaining or even talking to me. Bye!

I then blocked him on WhatsApp as I was too pissed. What does he think of himself as? Can't he had just ended the conversation by just saying a thank you when I had wished him.

I went down to make instant noodles for me. After 10 minutes I was back in my room to eat peacefully.

I heard a banging sound. Wait it is coming from my balcony. I set the bowl on the bed and went towards the balcony door.

I heard someone say "Open the door before I freeze to death." I moved away the curtains to see who it was and asked.

"What the fuck are you doing here Neil?" He shouted "Before I freeze and die open the door."

He was too loud; hope he did not wake my parents. I opened the door and he walked in and I closed the door behind him.

He sat on the bed, removed his shoes and went inside the quilt which was on my bed.

I asked him "You want coffee or hot chocolate I can make you one?"

He shook his head and told me "I am fine now. In a hurry I forgot to bring my jacket."

I asked him "Why are you here in the first place? You regretted talking to me."

He shook his head, rubbed his forehead and told me "I am sorry I am always this mean to you. I say things which I never mean and regret it later. Last time we left on a bad note but this time I want to end it clearly because you are the only one who has ever actually motivated me."

I asked him "I made instant noodles for me you want some?" He shook his head and said "No you eat."

He then asked me "Can I tell you what is actually going in my head since forever?"

I nodded while eating. He stated "Remember the day we exchanged our phones?"

I nodded again and he continued "That day I was shopping in the same mall as you, when my eyes landed on you. You looked so pretty that I followed you till Coach shop. I may have purposely swapped our phone in hope of getting to talk to you."

I gave him what the fuck look but remained quiet. "When you were busy paying, I swapped our phones and was going to return it to you soon but you disappeared. I then called later in a hope to meet but you were busy so I told you to keep the phone until we can meet peacefully. I know I had a girlfriend but when I first saw you, I couldn't think of her or any other girl. It felt like I have to know this girl, she is the one."

I asked him "Am I your love at first site or something like that?" He shook his head and said "Not sure maybe crush at first site but when I found out you were Cole's little sister all my hope of having you vanished."

I am confused "What has it to do with Cole being my brother?"

He told me "There is a bro code between guys they can't date their best friend's sister."

I asked him "Did I say that out loud?" He smiled and nodded. I told him to continue.

He started again "Anyways when we hugged that day at the Starbucks all the feelings were back but I tried to remain friend. We talked a lot that day and when I was alone by the pool and you took me for dinner with your friends, I got to know you better. I was planning on breaking up with my girlfriend when I was drinking alone that day."

I was shocked why is he suddenly telling me all this. I asked him "Was that because of me?"

He shook his head "Nope but as I said I was not feeling anything towards her. Anyways that night when you tried to hide her from me, I was pissed at you for being too good and not at her. We had broken up before the party even started. Then you followed me and that night you were looking so beautiful that I couldn't take my eyes off you. I had wanted to kiss you all night but I knew it was a mistake and then we did kiss but I was afraid that I broke a bro code and my friendship with Cole mattered more than you. So, I got confused and said all that."

I nodded and said "That was a year ago? Why are you still mean to me now?"

He told me "That kiss changed things for me. I knew after the kiss I like you and I still do and hence I am trying to keep my distance until I move on. I am going back tomorrow evening."

I asked still confused "What about Reese? Aren't you two back?"

He shook his head and told me "We met coincidentally on the plane and talked all the way here. We planned to remain friends and she helped me to know whether you liked me or not but you never reacted and that was pissing me off. Hence, I said those things at my place during dinner. I am sorry about it."

I nodded and told him "Thanks for telling me all this Neil but I don't know at one point I am attracted to you but when you say mean things to me, I want to kill you or ignore you like you mean nothing to me. I am also not sure what is all this. Before I can realize what is all this you are already leaving. I don't want to get my hope ups as your priority will always be Cole so I request you to forget everything and let me forget too."

He just nodded and left from where he came. Before leaving he turned and wish me "Happy New Year Co-Co. You look more beautiful in my sweatshirt."

After he left, I realized that I was wearing his sweatshirt which I had borrowed a year ago.

That night I cried myself to bed, why did he confessed when he was going to leave. Maybe I did like him but why did he tell me, how am I going to move on now. I so fucking hate him after this, more than last year.